Fan Upgrade? (late 2008 model)

Reaction score
I do a lot of live streaming and flash game playing on my macbook. Anytime this happens, my fan revs up to its 6000 RPM max, and keeps my computer at about 150-160 degrees (I know this is within the limits, but its still pretty warm for lap use). Also it is pretty loud once it gets up there in RPMs. (again not a real issue, but given the poor speaker quality, it makes it tough to hear things sometimes).

So, my question is simple. Can I update my fan to something more powerful or quieter or anything?

I don't particularly want to use any kind of cooling pad or thing, as they tend to be bulky and just another piece of equipment to deal with (I take my computer around for classes and things), plus, in my experience, the fan still runs just as loud...but if you think that is a better solution, then suggest the one you think is best

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
C

chas_m

I do a lot of live streaming and flash game playing on my macbook.

I think the problem -- and the answer -- are right here. You mentioned it's a 2008 MacBook -- so those fans are now four years old, with four years worth of dust and schmootz on them. They are probably working a lot harder than they should, and aging the processor with that much heat as well.

The first thing I'd suggest is taking the machine apart and cleaning the fans. Assuming you are competent to do this (instructions are likely to be found at iFixit), it's like to help matters.

Secondly, just as you don't make your 90-year-old grampa run five miles every day even though he could do it when he was 30, maybe it would be a good idea to ease up on the heaviest uses of Flash a bit. I realise it's difficult to avoid, but anywhere you can cut back is likely to extend the useful life of the machine. Maybe there's an alternative to Flash available for some of your uses?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I agree with Chas - you may just need to clean the inside of the machine to optimize air flow. One important point - if you do open it and use compressed air, be sure to hold the fans still while spraying and spray in short bursts. You don't want to overspin the fans, as that can be bad for the bearings. Also, you don't want to spray in a continuous manner, which can cause condensation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina Macbook Pro 15" | iPhone 5 | iPad Mini
As I suggested in someone else's thread about fan cleaning. Use the ifixit guides and you'll be golden. Also repaste the diodes on the logicboard. Apple unfortunately did a lousy job doing it the first time. I just recently repasted my Macbook Pro and saw temperature drops of up to 20C on idle and during heavy to moderate use and my fans no never go to max RPM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.