Macbook Pro Trackpad not clicking

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 2.53 GHz
I have a:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,4
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz

The click feature on the trackpad just stopped accepting clicks. The mouse still works and I changed to tap to click in the settings, but was wondering if anyone new why it won't click anymore?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
does it make the clicking sound? if not then it needs the screws tightened. take it to an apple store if so

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 2.53 GHz
I does make the sound and you canfeel the click, but nothing happens. The tap works and the mouse works. But wheb you click using the track pad, nothing happens.

C

chas_m

This is a common problem with this model (I have the exact same one). Basically what happens is that the trackpad gets ham-fisted a bit too much and then gets VERY finicky about where the click will actually work even if the entire pad "clicks." If the trackpad is not PERFECTLY flush with the rest of the surface, you've got this problem. On mine, there's still one "area" of the trackpad that reliably activates when clicked. The rest of the pad is "dead" to clicking, even though I get the "click" feel/sound.

The solution is to either a) use the "tap to click" settings and work with that instead or b) get a tech to fix the problem (which will cost quite a bit as the machine has to be very disassembled to fix the issue). So far, I've opted for the former.

Reaction score
track pad

a week or so ago, i came to these forums looking for an answer for this problem as well. yesterday, the back of my mac book popped open and when i looked inside, my battery had swollen up so much that it pushed open the case. today, i installed a new battery, and i am good as new. there ya go. yay!!

moral: check your battery for swelling. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.