Best Recording Software when recording from Audio Tapes

Reaction score
Hi all

I have some old audio tapes I want to convert to mp3 and wanted to know whats the best way and the best software to do it with?

I suppose I hook up the audio tape player to the mac some how and play the music into the laptop whilst the software is recording?

Any tips would be welcome

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
There are packages specifically for this, and if you do a thread search you will probably find some mentioned.

Regardless, I have done this before using GarageBand (part of iLife). Record using Line in or Microphone jack.

C

chas_m

I record audio tapes (cassettes) using a cassette deck attached to an iMic USB converter ($40). I've been using it for years without issue for both line and mic uses (turntables without pre-amps, cassettes, mikes, all kinds of gear like that).

The program I happen to use for the actual recording is Audio Hijack Pro so that I have full control over what sound input is being records (and which ones are being ignored). I can apply live effects, EQ, denoising, filters and all manner of other stuff as it's coming in.

There are lots of programs that can handle the "recording" part, even just plain old QuickTime X. For connecting an analog sound source to digital, there are a few third-party options. The iMic has worked out to be the cheapest for me.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
+1 for Audio Hijack Pro. Best audio capture app out there.

Also, Toast Titanium is bundled with a program called "CD Spin Doctor", which is also a really great tool for chopping up the audio and encoding it ready to import to iTunes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.