Random website downloads when clicking on common links in Safari

Reaction score
Recently, on occasion, my Safari will download a webpage when I click on a link instead of directing me to the page. For instance, I wanted to watch a Youtube video, so I clicked on a search result (already on the Youtube site) and my downloads window came up and downloaded "watch.html" which I later discovered that every video on youtube has its own "watch.html". Also, when I registered for the Forums here today, it downloaded two files: "showthread.php.html" and "register.php.html". Does anyone have any ideas as to why this happens? It occurs randomly in short happenings. Any help is much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, Late 2007, 2.4GHz (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, Radeon 2600HD OSX 10.6.8
Are you pressing down the Option key at any point? This will cause you to download the link, not access it. I do it from time to time myself, missing the command key.

OP
S
Reaction score
No, I couldn't be hitting the Option key because I use a wireless USB mouse instead of the trackpad most of the time. When it does happen, it almost feels like the computer lags for a few seconds like it's processing something, but there aren't any other applications open to manage other than Finder and Safari–Safari being the only open window.

Reaction score
Ever find a resolution to this problem?

I was wondering if you ever found the cause or a resolution to this problem? I am having the exact same issue and it is incredibly frustrating. :( Would love to know what is causing it and how to fix it.

C

chas_m

He didn't report back (I hate it when they don't report back) from a year ago, but chances are likely that his wireless USB mouse had a "middle click" set to simulate an "alt-click," which on a PC would be like a right-click but on a Mac is like and option-click and so was indeed downloading websites. This is just a guess however.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.