How do you backup your macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 13" macbook and 21" 2007 iMac, both running the latest snow leopard. Oh, and an iphone 4.
I would like to have a set up whereby when I come home and open my macbook it automatically backs up to my time capsule; but I want something different to time machines offering.

I have time machine, but the way it works means I can't access my macbook's backup, stored on the TC, from my iMac.

I have bought chronosync which seems a powerful tool, but I have been trying for a year to set it up to achieve my aim. It will back up to the TC, and that means I can access the files as a central library; what I can't setup is my macbook joining my home wireless network triggering a synchronization.

I wont go into the things I've tried. What I'm interested in is what others have done. Has anyone managed to create a system that will meet my wants?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
There are cloning Apps out there like SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner - Home that make a exact clone of your HD and then make it bootable where as TM copes all files over but doesn't make it bootable. With the first 2 being bootable their helps if your Mac HD fails and you still need to work.

SuperDuper can backup over a network : Excerpt from the support manual:

"Backing up over a network

Backing up to a network volume with SuperDuper! is as easy as backing up
to a local volume, with a few special considerations."

So have a look at there support manual for more info. Its free but to get to additional features you need to pay, which i have done bc i love the simplicity of the App and does a excellent job.
CCC is free and can also backup over a network. Now the choice is yours as to which way you go, but as i said I'm highly impressed with SD and forked out the $ for it.

HTH

Cheers

Edit : Have a read of these 2 threads as they are full of Backup solutions/ideas and info. http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/196606-backups-backups-backups.html and http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/245794-official-backup-faq-start-backing-up-now.html

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 13" macbook and 21" 2007 iMac, both running the latest snow leopard. Oh, and an iphone 4.
Many thanks for the reply. I have looked at your two suggestions before.

Have you got them set up so that a synchronization/backup will occur automatically when you're macbook attaches to your home wireless network? Can you then access the files on the TC from another computer?

Thanks

Gareth

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, Late 2007, 2.4GHz (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, Radeon 2600HD OSX 10.6.8
You can make an Automator script if you wish or else Carbon Copy Cloner offers scheduling (Not sure about SuperDuper! but I would say so), so you could make it back up at a time when you will be home from work.

If it is a bootable hard drive clone (eg. SuperDuper and CCC), you can enable File Sharing over the network by going System Preferences > Sharing and ticking the File Sharing box (You can mod the options to the extent you wish). This will mean that from another computer (Not sure about Windows), you can access the backup through the computer it is connected though - I constantly do this myself.

If you need clarification, just ask. I think I may have explained poorly.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can joining the home network trigger an applescript?

I'm grateful for all suggestions, but aplogise if I come up with a list of moans each time. Let me know if I'm too wingey.

You can make an Automator script if you wish or else Carbon Copy Cloner offers scheduling (Not sure about SuperDuper! but I would say so), so you could make it back up at a time when you will be home from work.

This is the bit that is surprisingly difficult: at least fort me. I have played with automator scripts for hours, but as yet I can't seem to find a way of getting joining my home network to trigger something.

I had tried scheduling back ups but it didn't work well for me. I work shifts, including nights and weekends, so there is no time that I will always be home. I had chronosync set up to do this, but every time it tried to backup when not at home I would get an error message. Then when i got home the sync programme wouldn't run, presumably because of the error. Chronosync suggested I set up the sync to require me to input a password each time, but I'm hoping to find a way for it to work without me needing to do that.

So, can joining a network trigger an applescript.

Cheers

G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, Late 2007, 2.4GHz (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, Radeon 2600HD OSX 10.6.8
I'm not too crash hot with Automator, sorry. I'm sure someone else here will have an idea however.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.