ipod video vs psp

Reaction score
I am hoping for some objective views as I think this is the best for to get advice friom. I currently have an ibook and a 4G 20GB ipod. I am buying a camcorder and plan to make some home movies of my forthcoming new family. I travel a bit for work and would like something portable to carry this videos. I will be using imovie and idvd to edit them from the camcorder.
I am having difficulty deciding whether to buy a ipod video or psp.
Ipod video;
Pros; Large memory, one device for music & photo & video, small size.
Cons; small screen, battery life?, restricted to itunes.

PSP;
Pros; Large screen, ability to play games, possible to watch commercial movies (on UMD), wireless internet connection
Cons; extra device, less memory, battery life?

If I get the psp I will buy pspware to convert movies so that should not be a problem.

A few things I am not sure on is what formats do both support and how restrictive would one be over the other?
What extra features does one have over the other, e.g. connect to TV?
How do they compare for battery life?
Is there any other things I have not thought about that could make a difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core, MacBook Air 11
Options

richieg said:
I am hoping for some objective views as I think this is the best for to get advice friom. I currently have an ibook and a 4G 20GB ipod. I am buying a camcorder and plan to make some home movies of my forthcoming new family. I travel a bit for work and would like something portable to carry this videos. I will be using imovie and idvd to edit them from the camcorder.
Ipod video;

PSP;
Pros; Large screen, ability to play games, possible to watch commercial movies (on UMD), wireless internet connection

If I get the psp I will buy pspware to convert movies so that should not be a problem.

A few things I am not sure on is what formats do both support and how restrictive would one be over the other?
Is there any other things I have not thought about that could make a difference?

How important are games to you? If you really want to play games buy the PSP otherwise go with the iPod Video or consider another device e.g. mobile media center (PVR's) or a PDA. The latter choices are better on battery life, the PSP is huge and not very portable, I ditched mine for this reason, the iPod video is great for music but I'm not impressed with my video iPod's battery life for feature length movies. With a car charger or AC adapter the iPod is fantastic but not the most freely portable. For now I'm using a PDA for video, it has a big high res screen and the battery life is fantastic. Archos makes a few nice mobile PVR's with 20 to 100 GB drives which will let you automatically record and carry your favorite tv shows or sports events around too. Good luck!

Reaction score
You can't connect a PSP to a TV, but I believe you can with an iPod video.

Reaction score
richieg said:
Ipod video;

PSP;

Depends on whats most important to you. Although reading your post I gather those points are it. Keep in mind the PSP can also do MP3s. I've even seen pictures of the PSP running OS9 as well!!! (Of course it took the hack 4hrs to boot the OS...not sure why he'd spend the time doing that) Of course, I've also seen the video ipod running linux....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I would go for the iPod, first of all because of the memory. MemorySticks are very expensive (comparing them to similar memory cards or hard drives),anf i you are thinking a bout video, memory is the first thing to think about. Also, to take full advantage of the PSP's screen you would have to put the videos on widescreen format, wich means bigger files.
The iPod can connect to a TV w/o problems, but the PSP requires aditional hardware wich is not very common. If you are looking for a portatile big screen i recommend you to see the LifeDrive from Palm or any other PDA with good video capabilities.
It's true that you can just buy the UMD with some movie on them, but they cost (almost) the same as a regular DVD. You can buy the DVD and import the movie to the iPod and forget about those UMD.
And if youthink about howmuch you would have to carry think:
- PSP, some UMDs with movies, some UMDs with games, a memory stick with music, one or two with movies, TV adapter.
- iPod with it's dock.

P

Phantom

Even though I support Macs the PSP is a better option because of games,and good movies, as well as wifi and web browsing it also holds pics and movies. Plus the cost is less.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I've owned both devices and I'd take a video iPod over the PSP.. the wireless internet is great, but it's like surfing the net on a cell phone.. the large screen @ high rez has amazing clairity and detail and is high quality.. however, if you just want pics/videos/music, I'd go with a video iPod.. I regret taking my iPod back for the psp now.. Not to mention, the 1gb storage limit sucks, with the amount of media I have at least.. They're both great devices, and like everything, each have their own pros and cons.. The only thing I'd keep the PSP for is for portable games, but I don't have the time or the need to play games on the go, since when I'm not at home, I'm with friends or in class or working. I'd take the iPod, you get a mass amount of space, can store pics/movies/music. If you don't need/want games or internet, then don't get the PSP, but like I said, both are great units, just my preference is the iPod.

Reaction score
I really agree with many peoples repsonses here. You have to really know what it is you want, the psp is a good unit but it is bulky and to get the films onto it you need to then go and purchase either umd films which is like a poor mans dvd but at the same price or go and get a decent sized memory stick say 1gb.

The issue here is that the psp really is a games machine it is a small ps2 and I have to say that at its core objective it fails in my mind, the unit takes a very long time to load games, in my instance Burnout revenge took about 2.5 minutes to load with periods in the game of massive slowdown. The screen however is very good and it is a great boys toy. The ipod however is something very different, it is a media player and it does this very well, I live in the Uk and have no access yet to the US video content but I have been able to put films on the ipod via file optomizing software and it is very good. As I said you need to look at your core needs, is it playing games or playing videos and music?

Reaction score
Now that iTunes is carrying more videos, I think I would find it more useful than a PSP, since I don't game that much. I think the PSP games aren't that great and the UMD movies are ridiculously overprices, but I would consider buying some videos off iTunes.

Reaction score
I recently had the same dilema and opted for the PSP because I wanted to watch movies on a decent sized screen. The quality was excellent and had no problems with the screen size, BUT the memory wasn't great and I thought it took way too long to convert and transfer a movie. The web browser was a nice feature but I can do the same on my mobile phone and I didn't need it for music as I have a shuffle. If I play games, I do so at home and had no need for it on the go (although the graphics were excellent). The battery life was really good but I did get rid of it because of the awkwardness of getting the movies onto it. I figured if I want to watch a second movie on a long flight I'll just get a second battery for my laptop instead.

My friend has the iPod video and loves it. Plenty of memory for movies, great picture quality, battery life is ok and it's far more portable than the PSP.

If you want games go for the PSP and although the screen size is great, I thought it a pain to get a movie onto it, the memory sticks are expensive and it's bulky in comparison to the iPod. Both are really cool gadgets and each one has advantages over the other. Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
mynameis said:
You can't connect a PSP to a TV, but I believe you can with an iPod video.

Actually, you can, but it either takes a mod to the PSP itself or external equipment.

I'd personally go with the PSP in your situation. You have an iPod for your music, and a PSP for your movies. The PSP has a user-serviceable battery, a good game library, and larger screen. Although I would reccomend you get a 1 gig Memory stick. However, they really do hold alot more video than you'd think (if you give up a little bit of video quality you can fit nearly 3 hours on a 1 gig using PSP Video 9), and video on this thing has a much better battery life than you'd expect.

While the asking price is a bit high (roughly $350 for the PSP and 1 gig stick), I really feel like in you're position I'd go with it.

I think alot of people are forgetting that you already own an iPod, so audio is taken care of. It's more matter of should you upgrade or go with another snazzy toy. If you're iPod works and still serves it's purpose, than keep it and throw the PSP in to.

Reaction score
PSP kicks the Ipods nuts for Video.
Its all about the screen size.
whats next?
Ipod Vs PSP for games?

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17", 160 GB, 512RAM/ iPod 1gen, 15G/iPod video black
Can someone tell me if I should get the iPod or the PSP?
I have an old 2GEN iPod (15) and it works great for audio, and I like to play brick too.
___

I mostly use it for walking to the bus stop for school (about a mile or two), and the way to and from school via bus (2hours 30 mins, each way).

One thing I might worry about though is getting hit by a car or something with the PSP, if I'm playing a game or something lol. Although, I can make it so I don't have to cross the street.

Oh, this would replace my current iPod. I need to be able to A.) Play music and movies, or B.) Movies, games, music.

Can anyone testify to the PSPs music knowledge. I'm kind of stuck too, as I'm getting either or by the end of next week probably...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
BoA said:
Can someone tell me if I should get the iPod or the PSP?
I have an old 2GEN iPod (15) and it works great for audio, and I like to play brick too.
___

I mostly use it for walking to the bus stop for school (about a mile or two), and the way to and from school via bus (2hours 30 mins, each way).

One thing I might worry about though is getting hit by a car or something with the PSP, if I'm playing a game or something lol. Although, I can make it so I don't have to cross the street.

Oh, this would replace my current iPod. I need to be able to A.) Play music and movies, or B.) Movies, games, music.

Can anyone testify to the PSPs music knowledge. I'm kind of stuck too, as I'm getting either or by the end of next week probably...

I'd go with the iPod. Personally I'd take care of music (as you generally get more use out of it) first, then get done with other multimedia features (which the iPod is begining to take care of with the new video features).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.