Strange browser behavior

Reaction score
So I've been having this problem for a couple months, and it happens both with Safari and Firefox. Occasionally, a specific website will stop loading. It happens with websites I use a lot, like Facebook, Google and the New York Times. At a random time, when I type in the URL, it will say "page cannot be opened". Other times, a website will start randomly redirecting to a different page, so when I type in NYtimes it will go to some blog, and sometimes it will say "warning this appears to be a website pretending to be facebook (or google)".
The only way I can fix this is by resetting Safari, emptying the cache, and restarting the computer. Sometimes just restarting won't work, and I'll have to shut down the computer, leave it for a bit, and then start again. I've tried switching to Firefox but the same thing happens there too.
Does anyone have any idea why this could be happening?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.