Foreign Characters

Reaction score
Got an e-mail in Hungarian and all the non-English characters showed up as gibberish in Apple Mail. Many of these characters are common with German, French or Spanish. Apple support was useless and annoying. Does anyone know of a setting in Apple OS that displays foreign characters correctly? BTW, IPhone does it right and so does Windows on PCs.

Reaction score
Same Here!

Hey, I have the same problem
I recieved an email in French and the characters do not show properly, they do show on my iPhone however,
Is there a language file i need to download?

Thank You

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Its not a language file you need but a font that supports extended character sets, ie all roman characters in most languages

What font is the email in, and what happens when you change the font

Reaction score
Im not sure how to check which font its in...

I tried to go to Message > Text Encoding and choose the other options but none worked,

Then i went into System Preference > Languages > Edit and tried to add French Canadian but that didnt show up in the Text Encoding options list

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Again its not a language issue in the OS but what characters are supported in the font

paste it into text edit and see if different fonts display the accented characters

Reaction score
Thanks for trying to help...

So i copied the text into both Text Edit and Word and it appeared as the same mess as before,

câ•˙=6 kPa  f =28° for long term stability in the clay deposit

Thats the line,

câ•˙ should really just be c'

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.