Using a keyboard & mouse for both Mac and PC

R

rizzonjig

Ok next question is once I get a Mac I want to use a KDM (KVM) Switch on my Mac and PC so that way I could use one mouse and one keyboard for both is this possible?.. Is there an adapter that I could use to do this or does any one have any other great ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
a KDM will work fine no need to worry one bit

OP
R

rizzonjig

Ok, is there any Specific or Special KDM (KVM) Switch that I would have to have for this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
If it's USB you should have no problem, althogh PS2 shouldn't matter either, as long as your Mac has a PS2 port for the mouse.. I'd suggest getting a USB KVM switch.. I've used a KVM with a wintel pc and a G3 iMac and it worked great.

OP
J

JunMacTech

Any PS2 KVM will work if you purchase a PS2 to USB adapter for each mac on the switch. They are dirt cheap, like 5 dollars.

works like a charm

Reaction score
An alternative to buying a KVM is to use this software (free) called synergy:

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

Basically, you install it on your PC and on you Mac, and then you need to make a simple network between the two (you Mac will be network ready, and you can buy a cheap network pci card for the PC and an ethernet cable).

The software lets you move you mouse between the two screens and whenever the mouse is on a certain screen the keyboard will send the keystrokes to that computer, you can even copy and paste between the computers. A lot more elegant than a KVM switch (the only time you really use a KVM is if you only have one monitor and two computers).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
zeta101 said:
An alternative to buying a KVM is to use this software (free) called synergy:

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

Basically, you install it on your PC and on you Mac, and then you need to make a simple network between the two (you Mac will be network ready, and you can buy a cheap network pci card for the PC and an ethernet cable).

The software lets you move you mouse between the two screens and whenever the mouse is on a certain screen the keyboard will send the keystrokes to that computer, you can even copy and paste between the computers. A lot more elegant than a KVM switch (the only time you really use a KVM is if you only have one monitor and two computers).

That looks pretty cool.. i think i might have to try that..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' MacBook 2.2Ghz 1Gb Ram 120Gb ,iMac G3 CRT 600 Mhz 512 Ram 60Gb Broken iBook G4, stolen Nano
Bump

if im using a apple keyboard will the kvm carry the extra usb signal
this is the last question i need to answer before commiting to a kvm and purchasing a mighty mouse

Thanks
:mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.