alternative to ipod? mac and pc compatible

Reaction score
Hey,
I'm using both mac's and pc's....my pc based player works brilliantly; but now that I have a powerbook; I need to get something that works with mac products.
Does anyone know of a great mp3 player (20GB and bigger) which will work with both mac's and pc's?
I've yet to find any.
Also along with the ipods, will the pc version ipod work also on the mac?
Thx,
M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Any iPod can be formatted for either system - any PC formatted iPod can be used with both system, a mac formatted iPod will not be recognised by Windows (without additional software).

Most MP3 players that use a filesystem drag 'n drop method can be used, as the mac can read them natively.

Only players that require proprietary software (Sony and ???) will not work.

Personally though - I'd really just get an iPod for the full experience: Format it with your PC first and then use it on either system.

S

sandals1621

YUp, I'd say go ipod. Works well between my pc's and macs.

I also have an RCA lyra, which I can get windows itunes to recognize but not the mac wont

OP
W
Reaction score
my mp3 player

I'm currently using a Rio Karma 20GB player...it's about 3 years old now.
I liked it at first till it broke down in the 3rd month of use; which I found out that the thing has only a 3 month warrantee. I was so pissed that a player would only have a 3 month warrantee....talk about a lack of confidence in a player from the company.
Luckily for me though, the thing broke down just days before the warrantee ran out, so I sent it back (I was living overseas at the time, so that was a huge problem); but I got it back a couple months later and to my surprise it has worked fine since then. I will never buy a mp3 from rio again though.
But now that I have a mac, it will not work on my mac. They supply no software in the package; and when I asked Rio directly, they have no software support.
I had hoped there was an off brand mp3 company which would create such a program.
It will not work as a plug and play device either.
Bummer!
I was thinking of getting the ipod, but feel it is an expense that I dont have; and it is hard to approve of dropping around $300 for a mp3 when I have one that works perfectly fine. It's just when I travel it is a joy to be able to trade music via my mac.
I was hoping for something sub $200 pc and mac compatible.

mynameis said:
What music player do you have now that won't work with your Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
wrightm said:
I was hoping for something sub $200 pc and mac compatible.

You could always take a look at the refurb section on the Apple Store site. You get an iPod in brand new condition, a full one year warranty that is still eligible for APP and you save a TON of money on it. There are usually several there for less than $200.

OP
W
Reaction score
I've looked at refurbished and they all seem to be about $220 or so.
not that much of a discount and if i'm gonna spend that much I think i might as well spend another $80 and get a brand new one.

S

Static76

Also looking for iPod alternative

I'm also looking for a Mac compatible alternative to the iPod. Ideally, it would have a drag and drop file-structure, and would play WMA as well as MP3 files.

Also, I'm looking for something that will spend most of it's time connected to my stereo, so a good range of accessories would be ideal.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.