Gaming Performance Issues

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an early 2008 MacBook Pro 17" with 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor and 4 GB Ram. My computer has a 320 GB hard drive, 160 of which is unused.

I have been having issues lately with performance while playing games. Early on in my computer's life I could play World of Warcraft on mostly high video settings and get an FPS of 20-25. Now, I am playing Diablo III on the lowest settings, with a resolution of 800x600 (Out of my screens max of 1920x1200), and I am getting a FPS rate of MAYBE 8-10.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be? Don't try to convince me that Diablo III's graphics are more complex... I've had the same issue with Civilization V, Age of Empires III, and Warcraft III recently. I'm trying to hold off until June-ish to get a new one, or whenever they are going to release the new MBPs. Any tips / tricks to help speed up my computer?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi,

I have an early 2008 MacBook Pro 17" with 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor and 4 GB Ram. My computer has a 320 GB hard drive, 160 of which is unused.

I have been having issues lately with performance while playing games. Early on in my computer's life I could play World of Warcraft on mostly high video settings and get an FPS of 20-25. Now, I am playing Diablo III on the lowest settings, with a resolution of 800x600 (Out of my screens max of 1920x1200), and I am getting a FPS rate of MAYBE 8-10.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be? Don't try to convince me that Diablo III's graphics are more complex... I've had the same issue with Civilization V, Age of Empires III, and Warcraft III recently. I'm trying to hold off until June-ish to get a new one, or whenever they are going to release the new MBPs. Any tips / tricks to help speed up my computer?

You've possibly ignored one VERY important part of the "performance equation"...and that's the video hardware. The video hardware in your 17" MacBook Pro is the GeForce 8600M GT. If you take a look at the MINIMUM video hardware requirements for Diablo 3...it says "NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT":

Diablo III System Requirements - Battle.net Support

So the reason why you're getting low frame rates is your MBP only meets the MINIMUM video requirements.

I'm sure things will be better when you're able to get a newer computer "June-ish".:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
You've possibly ignored one VERY important part of the "performance equation"...and that's the video hardware. The video hardware in your 17" MacBook Pro is the GeForce 8600M GT. If you take a look at the MINIMUM video hardware requirements for Diablo 3...it says "NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT":

Diablo III System Requirements - Battle.net Support

So the reason why you're getting low frame rates is your MBP only meets the MINIMUM video requirements.

I'm sure things will be better when you're able to get a newer computer "June-ish".:)

- Nick

Ahh, you are probably right. But is it really more demanding on my video card than WoW?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ahh, you are probably right. But is it really more demanding on my video card than WoW?

Here's what Battlenet says are the system requirements for WOW:

World of Warcraft System Requirements - Battle.net Support

They don't even mention video hardware under the minimum requirements for the Macintosh.

But look at it this way...WOW was released in 2004 (I'm not sure of the exact release date for the Macintosh):

World of Warcraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But you would be kidding yourself BIGTIME if you thought that video hardware requirements for a game released in 2012 (Diablo 3) wouldn't be SERIOUSLY more demanding than a game released in 2004 (World of WarCraft).

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Here's what Battlenet says are the system requirements for WOW:

World of Warcraft System Requirements - Battle.net Support

They don't even mention video hardware under the minimum requirements for the Macintosh.

But look at it this way...WOW was released in 2004 (I'm not sure of the exact release date for the Macintosh):

World of Warcraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But you would be kidding yourself BIGTIME if you thought that video hardware requirements for a game released in 2012 (Diablo 3) wouldn't be SERIOUSLY more demanding than a game released in 2004 (World of WarCraft).

HTH,:)

- Nick

Thanks for the help... That seems to make sense. Any good program / strategy you know of so I can maximize what I actually do have?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.