MacBook Pro Screen issue

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro 2006 that used to have a broken (cracked) screen. I recently bought a brand new screen for it and installed it. As far as I can tell, everything is hooked up correctly. So I tried turning on the macbook pro and the screen is completely dark. You can see what is going on on the screen in a brightly lit room if you look really close and if you shine a flashlight on it. Tried changing brightness, and everything. Tried checking the connections. I read about similar issues with these screens online and tried changing out the inverter which didn't work. The strange thing is that when I force shut down by holding down the power button, the screen flashes and is lit up brightly for a split second right before it powers off. Also, I can use it perfectly fine when I use screen sharing from my imac, graphics and all. So it couldn't be the graphics card or logic board? I have been reading everywhere and haven't found a definite answer on what it could be so I am asking here. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Here are the specs incase that is helpful:
Processor Type: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHZ
MPN: MA464LL/A
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6
Screen Size: 15.4"
Video: ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1600 with 256 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Hard Drive: 120 GB

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you sure you purchased the exact replacement screen? The inverter and screen have to match as they were in the original configuration. Either that or you have some damaged or pinched cables going from the logic board to the LCD.

OP
J
Reaction score
Are you sure you purchased the exact replacement screen?
Yes, the screen that I bought is the same exact model number as the laptop.
Hi,

It look like display chip on the logic board becomes faulty which if replaced would fix the problem. It seems to be a small issue.

Regards
Is that an expensive replacement? And does it require any soldering?

Thanks for the replies!

OP
J
Reaction score
Does anybody know how I would go about figuring out definitely what's wrong? I am actually typing this on the macbook pro with an external monitor so the graphics definitely work fine. Oh and I also noticed that it lights up really quick right before it goes to sleep when I put it to sleep. I was going to upload a video of it but it is too quick for a camera to capture.

OP
J
Reaction score
I could really use some help on this. Has nobody else had a similar issue? I'm using it with an external monitor right now and it works fine. I would like to be able to use it as a laptop again though. I'm not exactly a rich person that can just go out and buy a new computer. I can't even afford to take it to a repair shop. That's why I'm on here. If somebody could just point me towards what to do, I could do it.

Reaction score
same issue for me right now. with my macbook 2006. black screen except it keeps restarting. ****** me off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.