Best ereader app for iPad?

Reaction score
There's so much information out there, especially outdated information, regarding which app is good for the iPad. I like some of the features of the Amazon Kindle app (such as being able to read it on two devices (I have an iPad and iTouch) and other features. I'm just not sure what to look out for and would love to hear your opinions.

Thanks

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Since most of the eReader APPs are free and offer access to free books, why not just try them for yourself?

Reaction score
This has been my approach all along. Since Apple, IMO, has had a history of changing approaches somewhat abruptly, and since I use my e-readers for reading professionally and keeping notes, I've stayed clear of iBooks simply because I don't want to find someday that everything I've invested in becomes obsolete with no good option for converting to a newer format.

Kindle is the largest platform with the most readers on the most devices. I figure that if I'm seeking longevity in the publications I purchase, then Kindle is likely the best platform for seeing that happen. Always a gamble, but I've got to pick some basket for my eggs. Overall, my Kindle experience has been pretty good on my iPad.
mathews_thumbsup.gif

C

chas_m

I have my doubts about your bet on Kindle, but I see no reason not to simply have several ebook reader apps if you like. Why limit yourself, they're all free. iBooks, Kindle, Nook, Kobo ... etc. Pick a few and see which ones work out best for you.

Reaction score
I have my doubts about your bet on Kindle, but I see no reason not to simply have several ebook reader apps if you like. Why limit yourself, they're all free. iBooks, Kindle, Nook, Kobo ... etc. Pick a few and see which ones work out best for you.

As I said, …always a gamble...

And you're correct, I do have some free stuff on both iBooks and nook on my iPhone/iPad. I've still elected to place my money on Kindle when it comes to paid stuff. Some of my REALLY important/expensive resources I've still opted for paper and pray that I don't have a fire someday. Hopefully I'll look back in 20 years and it won't be an issue.
mathews_thumbsup.gif

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.