Lion OSX on Macbook 2.0Ghz - good idea or bad idea?

OM2

Reaction score
I've got a macbook 2.0Ghz
I want to install Lion OSX
I've asked Apple and they've told me that yes it will run

Just wanted to know if anyone has installed on the same system?
Is it painfully unbearably slow?

The ONLY thing I want it for is developing iPhone/iPad apps
I don't need for ANYTHING else!

From what I understand, I HAVE to have Lion OSX to develop for the latest versions of iPhone

Thanks

Omar

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you by chance have the late 2007 Macbook with Santa Rosa chipset and 2.0 Ghz C2D? If so, running Lion here on mine and it's pretty snappy.

How much Ram is in your Macbook? I upgraded to 4GB. With 2GB Lion would have ran out of RAM with a few things open.

http://www.lowendmac.com/macbook/macbook-santa-rosa-2007.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
There are two 2GHz MBP the 'Yonah' Core Duo MacBook 1.1 model which will nor run lion, and the 'Merom' Core 2 Duo 2.1 model which will so you will need the Core 2 Duo model.

OP
O

OM2

Reaction score
Do you by chance have the late 2007 Macbook with Santa Rosa chipset and 2.0 Ghz C2D? If so, running Lion here on mine and it's pretty snappy.
i replied to your post - not sure why my post hasn't appeared
i have a 2007 2.0Ghz C2D - i looked at the link you gave - i don't think i have the santa rosa

How much Ram is in your Macbook? I upgraded to 4GB. With 2GB Lion would have ran out of RAM with a few things open.
i've been told by apple that the max i can increase to is 2GB
what do u mean "ran out"? will it just crash!?
so if i run office + adobe photoshop + final cut pro and watch a dvd at the same time it will crash?
the ONLY thing i need from it is app development - if i can achieve this, i'm happy
(the next goal is to get a new mac laptop - but my budget doesn't go that far)

OP
O

OM2

Reaction score
There are two 2GHz MBP the 'Yonah' Core Duo MacBook 1.1 model which will nor run lion, and the 'Merom' Core 2 Duo 2.1 model which will so you will need the Core 2 Duo model.

thanks for the reply
i've just had a look a the link given by @dtravis7

it says:

requires Mac OS X 10.5 to 10.7 Lion, not compatible with 10.8 Mountain Lion

NOT being compatible with v 10.8 will be a problem for me
i don't know why - but apple require u to have the latest OSX to develop for the latest version of the IOS :(

let me know what u think

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
First, the URL was for my model Macbook. You still have told us the exact specs of yours so we can see what model you have. Is yours a Core Duo or Core2Duo? Makes a large difference.

On the Mountain Lion part, a lot of MacBooks are being cut out of running ML when it comes out.

On the Ram issue, What does Windows do when it runs out of RAM? Swaps to the hard drive and gets DOG SLOW. Same issue and if you have a machine that only takes 2GB RAM and run all you mentioned, it will slow way down.

Please give us the exact specs and model so we can determine how much RAM for sure you can install. Some MacBooks that are listed at 2GB Max can go to 3GB.

OP
O

OM2

Reaction score
First, the URL was for my model Macbook. You still have told us the exact specs of yours so we can see what model you have. Is yours a Core Duo or Core2Duo? Makes a large difference.

On the Mountain Lion part, a lot of MacBooks are being cut out of running ML when it comes out.

On the Ram issue, What does Windows do when it runs out of RAM? Swaps to the hard drive and gets DOG SLOW. Same issue and if you have a machine that only takes 2GB RAM and run all you mentioned, it will slow way down.

Please give us the exact specs and model so we can determine how much RAM for sure you can install. Some MacBooks that are listed at 2GB Max can go to 3GB.

thanks for the reply. apologies - i thought the link gave just the one laptop
it's definitely a core 2 duo. see this screen shot i took with my mobile:

r8cyP.jpg

i'm 100% that 2GB is the max that can be installed. apple have confirmed this. AND, i can't seem to find anywhere that sells the memory where they give more than 2GB (2 x 1GB)

regarding slowing down - i can live with this

ALSO: Lion OSX ver 10.8 is not out yet! that's actually good news for me
it means for the moment, i am OK

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can put in 2x 2GB but due to chipset limitations you will only get 3GB. I am told it will work though.

OP
O

OM2

Reaction score
i'll look into it
having 3GB instead of 2GB how much 'better' will this make things for me?
yes: i know that might be a hard question answer - as it depends on the usage! any sort of personal judgement would be helpful

getting 4GB might be better if the cost of 1GB is nearly the same price

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Interesting OM2 that both OWC and Mactracker both specify that model as handling 2 x 1GB modules only. Normally both will advise if more memory will work with a model. And if 3GB does work, it will of course make the machine a little more responsive, but do not expect the performance to be equal to a faster processor.

C

chas_m

Having lost the plot a bit here, I think I'll chime in.

1. I had a 2.16GHz MacBook (the BlackBook) running Lion on 3GB (2x2GB) of RAM -- you can PUT 4GB in but it will only see a maximum of 3.3GB (and report just 3GB). Lion ran as well as Snow Leopard did, perfectly fine for my uses.

2. The poor graphics "card" (chipset) in those machines is the real problem. Google Earth, 1080p video, most serious games? Not gonna happen.

3. Other than that, mine was a little workhorse and I loved it. The only reason I replaced it was that I wanted more RAM and a better graphics card -- and the battery was dying -- and I had some money lying around at the time. It all came together, you might say. The MBP I got to replace it has 8GB of RAM and a somewhat better graphics chipset, but it came cheap and works great.

Anyway, for programming and app dev you should be fine on that machine. It's not the best choice but it's the most affordable one.

You ARE going to need to step up to something newer (2008 or more recent) pretty soon, so I sincerely hope your iOS app does well for you!

OP
O

OM2

Reaction score
guys, thanks for the replies
all have been amazingly helpful
i'm reassured that for the time being, i can have a mac that i can use!
got the memory and have installed - working nicely!

PROBLEM: i've got mac osx leopard. it's completely upto date. it's on ver 10.5.8 from what i can see

i can't see an option to buy on the apple store
i've only just noticed now that it says you HAVE to have a minimum of OSX 10.6.6 to upgrade
what????????
i looked up and OSX 10.6 is 'snow leopard' (ok, this is new to me being a new mac converts)
do i now HAVE to buy snow leopard and upgrade this FIRST and then i HAVE to buy Lion OSX separately???
(only to then find out in a few months time that i can't upgrade to Lion Mountain 10.8??)

grrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
help!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The issue is to use the App Store application, you need Snow Leopard and that is the way to purchase Lion for $29. You can get a memory stick installer though from Apple. Forget the price but it's maybe $59.

OP
O

OM2

Reaction score
thanks for the reply
i called apple and specifically asked: if i had mac osx lion on a usb stick, can i then install lion??

the answer was no: u can't
they said that u HAD to have snow leopard

i have read up one place where u can bypass needing to have snow leopard
seems straight forward enough (i think)

i've order snow leopard now anyway
the silly thing is that you can ONLY purchase online
i was happy to drive to a store and buy
i called up the store and was told that u can't actually buy it from ANY store anymore

so i've got a few days to wait
(got an email saying the order had been dispatched already - so, hopefully will get in a few days or so)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Someone is lying. That is what the USB Stick is for. Let me see if I can find it.

OP
O

OM2

Reaction score
Someone is lying. That is what the USB Stick is for. Let me see if I can find it.

now... that *REALLY* upsets me!!!!!!
grrrrrrrrrrrr!!

the person i got the mac laptop from has Lion
according to Lion's legal terms, u can install Lion on any machine that u have
i've read up how to create a usb stick from a Lion download already
so, i could have saved myself a small amount of money :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.