Viewing purchased video in airplane mode

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've bought some TV shows for our daughter to watch on a long flight. I've synced them to our updated iPad2. I experimented by turning the device to airplane mode and tried to watch through the iTunes app.

The problem is iTunes won't do anything without wifi access.

Am I doing this wrong? How can I view purchased TV shows on an airplane?

Thanks!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Pro 4GB, AT&T iPhone 4 16GB, every version iPod, 3rd Gen iPad 16GB 4G+LTE
Did you buy the TV shows through iTunes?
Those TV shows need wifi/ cellular signal to work.

On the other hand, if you have a digital copy of a movie and put it onto your iPad via your computer, you can watch in airplane mode.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I bought them through iTunes. So, unlike purchased music that needs no internet to hear, purchased video requires internet to watch?

This seems rather arbitrary, complicated, and really inconvenient. Did Apple not envision people using their phones and tablets on airplanes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
If you went onto your computer and made sure you fully downloaded the shows into your iTunes library, sync them to the iPad normally, making sure to go into the iPad selections and select the TV shows.

Once sync'd, go into the Videos app, not the iTunes app, to play the movies and TV shows.

I watch plenty of things on my iPad while in Airplane mode with no issue. Never use the iTunes app to watch, however, always the Videos app.

C

chas_m

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I bought them through iTunes. So, unlike purchased music that needs no internet to hear, purchased video requires internet to watch?

You have jumped to conclusions. It's not your fault, maymaythegreat was simply wrong.

No internet is required to view purchased iTunes videos. You use the Videos app not iTunes as everyone else has said.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks, gang!

I feel foolish. I had created a folder named 'useless' a while ago to put some native apps in that I thought I'd never use; looks I thought I'd never use 'Video' app. Ha!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.