Thumbdrive(USB) to iPad2?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
I purchased an iPad2 for my wife a couple weeks ago, and I have it all loaded up with apps. However, I would like to move some photo's from the Terrabyte drive that's on our home computer, as well as some text files and it sure would be much easier if I could use a USB thumbdrive instead of the whole sync/iTunes routine. I've seen an adapter that takes the 32pin connector on one side and accepts a USB drive on the other, but I don't know if this will work on an iPad.(saw this at a GameShop) My concern is that the necessary drivers may not be present within the iPad OS.

Can anyone confirm or deny the existence of a third party device that allows one to pull/transfer files in and out of an iPad?

Thanks

KKKKFL

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The iPad doesn't really have a file manager. So, although you could conceivable connect a flash storage device of some sort, you have no native way of manipulating the files. iTunes handles this for you.

Another alternative you may wish to consider would be just using Dropbox.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
iPad != regular computer. Keeping that in mind will answer a lot of questions automatically for you. If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, you already know what the iPad can and can not do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.