G5 Tower performance/Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My PC died last week and I was able to pick up a Mac G5 Tower for a good price. I know that it does not have an Intel cpu which is now essential on a Mac but I only need this computer for emailing, browsing, and some music listening and I am able to use the same 27" monitor and wireless keyboard, mouse, and printer I had.

The computer has dual 1.8 ghz processors and 3.5 Gigs of Ram. When I load web pages that are picture or data heavy both firefox and safari kind of slow down and lag until the web page is completely loaded. Not a problem with Simple web pages or other apps.
If I add more ram such as 2 gigs more and bring it up to 5.5 gigs of ram, will this make a significant difference in performance? I know it can take up to 8 gigs of ram.
I don't want to spend the money on the memory if it is not worth the performance gain. Also , which browser is faster for a mac, firefox or safari? I would use chrome but it is not supported on a non-intel Mac... Every app on it runs very smooth, even resource intensive apps like Adobe Lightroom, so I am even lead to believe that its the actual browsers that could be in need of updates for bugs, but I am not sure.

Any thoughts or input will be appreciated

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You asked this same exact question 3 days ago...and received a reply. Please check it out.

Thanks,

- Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.