screen is jumping around at random

Reaction score
My iMac (OS10.6.8) screen keeps jumping all over the desktop area, sometimes splitting in two, sometimes getting smaller, sometimes there is a blue border around the window I'm looking at. At times, this dance of the screen is so frantic that I'm unable to work.

Nobody seems to know anything about this problem. The people at the Apple Store gave my iMac a "stress test" and held it there for a day or so, and said they could find nothing wrong with the machine. The Apple Care phone answerer said she had never heard of such a problem.

Is anyone out there in the Forum who has heard of this issue?

Reaction score
It might be power problem or cable problem harassing you. If they had suggested then there should be some internal problem otherwise they won't face the problem you are facing.

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi Brynnae--

Thanks for your reply. I'll call the cable company and asj them about the problem-unless, as you suggested--they don't want to face it.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, gsahli; I followed your advice and performed the Apple Hardware Test. Extended testing said there was nothing wrong with my iMac hardware.

C

chas_m

My iMac (OS10.6.8) screen keeps jumping all over the desktop area, sometimes splitting in two, sometimes getting smaller, sometimes there is a blue border around the window I'm looking at. At times, this dance of the screen is so frantic that I'm unable to work.

It sounds to me like you (or your cat*) has turned on Universal Access items.

Go into Universal Access and UNCHECK the "Enable Access for Assistive Devices" checkbox at the bottom, and review the settings to disable anything not intended.

(cats somehow manage to walk/sit on the keys needed to invoke these commands)

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, gsahli; I followed your advice and performed the Apple Hardware Test. Extended testing said there was nothing wrong with my iMac hardware.

Can you please share the steps you followed, I also want to Test my iMac. I am facing some problem since last few days. Thanks in advance.

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi Brynnae--

In Finder, I located the Apple Hardware Test, and it said to turn off the Mac, then press down "D" as the computer turns on again, and the test screen will appear.

Reaction score

Nobody seems to know anything about this problem. The people at the Apple Store gave my iMac a "stress test" and held it there for a day or so, and said they could find nothing wrong with the machine. The Apple Care phone answerer said she had never heard of such a problem.

Is anyone out there in the Forum who has heard of this issue?

Hi,
My 2009 imac has just started doing the same, it started yesterday, i cannot do anything with it now, and using my old Dell laptop, ive got 3 yrs apple cover and calling in the morning, it just so strange how its just started.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
System Preferences, Universal Access. Turn everything off.

Reaction score
Hi Brynnae--

In Finder, I located the Apple Hardware Test, and it said to turn off the Mac, then press down "D" as the computer turns on again, and the test screen will appear.

Hie Lacanian,

Thanks a lot for sharing. I had also got test screen using this.

Reaction score
jumping screens

The various windows on my monitor were jumping around all over the place—my mail window, Safari, Firefox, even a Word document. I shut my iMac down. I then unplugged it from the power strip and plugged it directly into the wall socket.

When I turned it back on, the jumping screen problem was gone.

I hope this works for anyone else out there with this problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.