Typical switcher question(s)

C

criticular

1. How do you select multiple files that aren't in a row? That is, not using shift, but the equivalent of ctrl for windows (hopefully someone knows what i'm talking about).

2. Also, how do you find out what rpm your hard drive is? The profiler doesn't give that information, maybe i'll do a search on the model or something...

Thanks

OP
T

trix213

im taking guesses here since i don't own a mac (yet) but i think u use the apple key.

as for your hd - if u got your pbook in the last lil while - it should be 5400 rpm.

OP
C

criticular

I read your reply, and I'm like, "great, a guy who doesn't own a mac tells me it's the apple key, how predictable."

Well it WAS the apple key.

I'm an idiot

OP
L

lil

I wouldn't think that and to save you getting confused, the 'Apple' key is also more commonly known as the command key, so if someone said to you, hold down command + option + escape, command would be the apple key.

Vicky

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
lil said:
I wouldn't think that and to save you getting confused, the 'Apple' key is also more commonly known as the command key, so if someone said to you, hold down command + option + escape, command would be the apple key.

And of course if one was using a non-Apple keyboard on a Mini they may not have an Apple key.

Strangely enough Microsoft wireless keyboards do have Apple specific keys printed on them.

Amen-Moses

OP
S

sandals1621

Amen-Moses said:
And of course if one was using a non-Apple keyboard on a Mini they may not have an Apple key.

Strangely enough Microsoft wireless keyboards do have Apple specific keys printed on them.

Amen-Moses

and here I am using Apple Bluetooth keyboards and mice on my PC's :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
hey if you have to use a PC why not use a good keyboard and mouse ;)

OP
T

trix213

hey- just cuz i don't own a mac doesn't mean i don't use one. i use emacs at school =D

btw, did u figure out hd speed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sandals1621 said:
and here I am using Apple Bluetooth keyboards and mice on my PC's :)

The other day I was trying to re-activate Windoze XP after a mobo change but I couldn't find a PS/2 mouse for love nor money (where do they scamper off to? I used to have at least 3!). All I had was the USB2 Logitech wireless thingummy and that wouldn't work and as I had the screen up waiting for the reactivation code (a 48 digit number!) and a nice lady from Bombay waiting to give me said number (and as always happens in these situations I couldn't find a pen) I was loath to ditch the entire process whilst I went off to beg/steal/borrow a mouse.

Then it sort of occured to me that I had several clear plastic rodents sitting around my Apple machines so I grabbed one of them, plugged it in the USB socket of the PC and it worked perfectly, I was able to click the code entry box and type in the humungus number and reactivate my games machine.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
trix213 said:
hey- just cuz i don't own a mac doesn't mean i don't use one. i use emacs at school =D

btw, did u figure out hd speed?
You could start by telling us what model computer you have. We could probably just tell you what HD you have based on that.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Amen-Moses said:

Amen-Moses

Some Logitech keyboards also have the Mac symbols on the keys also.

OP
L

liberal123

Amen-Moses said:
The other day I was trying to re-activate Windoze XP after a mobo change but I couldn't find a PS/2 mouse for love nor money (where do they scamper off to? I used to have at least 3!). All I had was the USB2 Logitech wireless thingummy and that wouldn't work and as I had the screen up waiting for the reactivation code (a 48 digit number!) and a nice lady from Bombay waiting to give me said number (and as always happens in these situations I couldn't find a pen) I was loath to ditch the entire process whilst I went off to beg/steal/borrow a mouse.

Then it sort of occured to me that I had several clear plastic rodents sitting around my Apple machines so I grabbed one of them, plugged it in the USB socket of the PC and it worked perfectly, I was able to click the code entry box and type in the humungus number and reactivate my games machine.

Amen-Moses

So if you had a keyboard plugged in, Why did you need a mouse? You can work a PC without a mouse, Keyboard navigation is easy enough once your used to it, Especially for window's installations!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
liberal123 said:
So if you had a keyboard plugged in, Why did you need a mouse? You can work a PC without a mouse, Keyboard navigation is easy enough once your used to it, Especially for window's installations!!!!

Nope, the activation window doesn't have a shortcut so a mouse click is the only way to get the focus into the code entry bit. Trust me I tried everything!

(it should be a simple Tab key press to get to the next entry but that didn't work either)

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.