iMac stays on grey apple screen longer then normal upon boot-up

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

just a little concern and was looking for some a little advice. I've owned my iMac for a few months now and everything seems fine, except recently every time I boot up the computer..it gets stuck on the grey screen for a long time...a lot longer then "normal"....I had one incident where it just froze there...other then that...the smaller spinning "wheel" will appear for a bit..then it will go away...the grey screen will just stay there...and then eventually it will boot up...but it's more then double the time it used to take....should I be concerned??

any advice/input would be great! :)

thank u in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, 15", iCore 7, 8GB, Thunderbolt Display
i'd say - repair your permissions. if you have the computer for some time that usually happens. also: clean cache and such. you can do it manually or get a program such as mackeeper.
if you want mackeeper - check out the review if you are not familiar with it.
Mac Keeper 2012 - Clean your Mac Review

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Dear dtran

Whatever you do, do not install Mackeeper - ever.

There has been an enormous amount of postings about this product over a long time. Check it out by entering the name in the "Search" function of the Forum.

It is claimed to be very unreliable, unstable, damaging to your Mac and hard to uninstall.

In complete contrast, OnyX has always been favourably reviewed and is free. It is regularly updated and easily downloaded from their site or through CNET, for example.

It repairs disc permissions (as advised above) as well as carrying out a whole raft of additional housekeeping chores; clearing out caches, rebuilding Launch Services, Mail's Envelope Index, Spotlight and so on. It also checks out the SMART status of your IHD etc.

Of course, in the first instance, before installing an App like OnyX, you can simply Go to Applications/Utilities/Disc Utility, Click on your IHD and then Click on Repair Disk Permissions.

Please come back to us with the results.

Ian

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you to the both of you for your quick responses!

I have tried to "repair disk permissions" however, it didn't seem to make any difference. I "verified disk permissions" but there was no text in the above box (the box the usually displays a bunch of texts that I don't understand lol). I went ahead and "repaired disk permissions" but it took all but 10 minutes and nothing changed.

I rebooted hoping for a change but it still hangs on the grey screen for much longer then it used to.

=(. it eventually boots up but i'm just concerned at what it could possibly be.

do you guy/gals have any other further recommendations?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, 15", iCore 7, 8GB, Thunderbolt Display
ops i´m sorry, didn't want to give a bad recommendation - just from my experiences it worked but onyx as well, yes :)

did you repair permissions under the utility disk or did you reboot the computer pressing the alt key and entering a menu before the OS is loaded? because that one can go deeper into the permissions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.