iMac onboard audio

Reaction score
Does anyone know what kind of audio hardware is in the newer iMacs?

From what I've read, my best guess is that it's integrated into the motherboard, can output 5.1 sound via mini-optical jack to a device that can decode it. I'm assuming that the iMac cannot decode 5.1 surround on it's own. I would guess that DTS audio (music) is out of the question, too.

If you booted to Windows to play a game, what would you get as far as audio capabilities? Do you need drivers, or does bootcamp somehow handle the integration. Does the audio even work in Windows? Do most people just go with some type of external audio device for gaming?

Is the sound quality from the onboard audio fairly decent? I don't play movies on a computer. It would just be used for music and the odd game.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, 15", iCore 7, 8GB, Thunderbolt Display
mmm i´m not 100% sure i get what you mean but i try to answer anyway (i´m sorry, i´m german).
i have a macbook and i have parallels installed to run windows.
i didn't install any drivers, it works just.

OP
Lastmboy
Reaction score
mmm i´m not 100% sure i get what you mean but i try to answer anyway (i´m sorry, i´m german).
i have a macbook and i have parallels installed to run windows.
i didn't install any drivers, it works just.

Hi. Thanks for your response. I see you helping out all over the forums.
I guess it's like everything mac... it just works :) I've never actually been able to find any audio specs, but I'm sure it must work or someone would have complained.

Does the audio work ok with Windows running in Parallels? I've seen cases of virtual machines (not mac, mind you) where the sound is all choppy and/or delayed, even if just playing a song.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, 15", iCore 7, 8GB, Thunderbolt Display
i haven't expected any problems with it so far :) no hassle actually, thank god

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.