Mac Virus caused lost harddrive

Reaction score
I got a virus that wiped out all my Safari history. I put my Norton Anti Virus disk in and hit C to find the virus (maybe) and I have now lost my harddrive icon and all. The only thing I see is the Norton anti virus menu. When I try to sign out, the only start up choice I'm given is the Norton Disk. No Mac 4 or 5 is even listed. I tried using my backup but it doesn't have the actual hardrive icon, just all the stuff that's on my harddrive including the system and system folder. Help! I can't get the disk out. I hold down the mouse clicker and turn the computer on and the same Norton Anti virus disk appears. Norton tells me, btw, they can install because they can't find the harddrive. How do I get the disk out and where is my harddrive??? Thanks for anything anyone can tell me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I got a virus that wiped out all my Safari history.
No you didn't. There is no such virus. In fact, there isn't a single virus that affects the Mac. Maybe some other type of malware got onto your Mac, but that only happens if you are not careful. If you tell more of the circumstances surrounding the loss of your Safari history, perhaps someone can figure out what really happened and come up with the fix.

I put my Norton Anti Virus disk in and hit C to find the virus (maybe) and I have now lost my harddrive icon and all. The only thing I see is the Norton anti virus menu. When I try to sign out, the only start up choice I'm given is the Norton Disk. No Mac 4 or 5 is even listed. I tried using my backup but it doesn't have the actual hardrive icon, just all the stuff that's on my harddrive including the system and system folder. Help! I can't get the disk out. I hold down the mouse clicker and turn the computer on and the same Norton Anti virus disk appears. Norton tells me, btw, they can install because they can't find the harddrive. How do I get the disk out and where is my harddrive??? Thanks for anything anyone can tell me.
Is Norton AV still running? If so, try to Force Quit. (Hold down Command-Option-Escape) If it allows you to select Norton, then try ejecting the disc next.

OP
S
Reaction score
Virus caused lost harddrive

I was minding my own business, not opening email but the email page was open, not doing anything dangerous or stupid. I am an old lady but I am not a stupid old lady. The monitor went haywire like an electrical blowout--all squiggly lines and looked blown. I shut off the computer, turned it on again and everything was peachy keen except all of my Safari history and bookmarks were gone and all my applications were set at the starting point ie please register, click here to install, etc. Everything was still in my applications, nothing was deleted but it was very odd and I thought, because it also happened to a fellow mac user, that it had been a virus. I think, in fact, Macs do get virus's but not as big and bad as PCs I just read that Macs are becoming more of a target these days. Evil people are bored.
At any rate, I thought I would put the Norton Anti Virus disc in and have a look. Once the computer had opened up on the CD, the Tiger and Leopard harddrive icons I have on my desktop disappeared, gone, can't find them. I have them backed up but when I try to restart the computer from backup, it just sits there with the grey apple on the light grey background showing and goes no further. Can you figure this out? Virus or malware I feel I'm in trouble.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like was said earlier, there are no TRUE virus's for OSX. There are a very few pieces of Malware but none so far that do what you are talking about.

Did you by any chance change the user name or users folder name?

To most here on the forums, Norton IS a virus by itself! ClamXav is free and works great if you really feel the need for an Antivirus application.

It really sounds like your user account has issues or was renamed the wrong way.

OP
S
Reaction score
I didn't do anything but put the disk into the CD drive and start up from the CD. I did not do ANYTHING else. I closed all photoshop, imagebrowser, and safari before I shut down my computer to insert the disc. I did not rename anything or screw with anything at all. If anything was renamed, something else did it.

I can't do any thing at all to try to correct this because the Norton disc is the startup disc and my other startup disks have disappeared. I tried to startup from backup but it won't go--gives the bleak message that I need to restart the computer. There is a buzz and a whirrrr when I do this. Is that a good hint.

OP
S
Reaction score
I have made an appointment at the genius bar for tomorrow and if no one can help, I'll tell you what they do after I see them

OP
S
Reaction score
My mac is a old G4 power Mac. I have no access to anything on that computer. I have a newer one I'm using right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See signature
Don't go to the Apple Store/Genius Bar with a G4, you definitely have no warranty and the Apple rates are ridiculous (not to mention most current Genius Bar staff have probably never seen a G4). Go you your local AASP.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you know which model PowerMac G4 it is? Do you know the CPU speed? Some have a PMU button on the board inside.

Also have you tried resetting the PRAM? Does it make the startup sound? If so, right after the sound hold Command+Option+P+R all at once and keep them down. Let it restart 2-3 times then let go. You will hear a startup sound each time it restarts.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks so much. I tried both but the Norton Anti Virus disc keeps it's place as the startup disk. Can't seem to do anything while it's in but can't get it out--tried all the tricks.

OP
S
Reaction score
Okay, I reset the PRAM and got the disc out but now there's just a blue screen. Should I try resetting the
PMU again?

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you, thank you, thank you dtravis7. You are my hero. All is back, all is well. Resetting the PRAM and a little more patience on my part and everything is back. Whew.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Keep the Nortons disc well away from your iMac lol!

Great programs Nortons back in OS 9 days but not now. There are no Mac OS X viruses and the disc only contains Windows virus definitions. If you must sue AV software download ClamXAv which is freeware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Keep the Nortons disc well away from your iMac lol!

Great programs Nortons back in OS 9 days but not now. There are no Mac OS X viruses and the disc only contains Windows virus definitions. If you must sue AV software download ClamXAv which is freeware.

Great words of wisdom have seen Norton cause more situations than fix especially on a Mac.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What happens if you hold down the Option key right after the startup sound? Does a Menu pop up? If so, what do you see?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Thank you, thank you, thank you dtravis7. You are my hero. All is back, all is well. Resetting the PRAM and a little more patience on my part and everything is back. Whew.

Good news! See what I did there? For future reference, if you want to respond to a specific post, click the Quote button associated with it. It will save you some typing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.