lion now, or wait a while for stable ML?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
ok, now I'm at the point I want to go to lion. CS6 is out, it seems to work ok on my firewire lion install, a few friends have said they thought lion at .4 seems to be relatively stable.

So I was thinking of moving my lion install into my main drive. But a buddy, says, wait because mountain lion is coming out. Flip. But generally, with any OS, I always wait until at least .3 before considering it. So, that could be around october at least if ML were available next month.

Reasons for going to lion are, get used to the new OS, iCloud, newer xcode is lion only, and a few other reasons I can't seem to remember right now.

What are the thoughts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you want to wait until July (my guestimate) then go for Mountain Lion, if you need those services now then download Lion

OP
Groovetube
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just read that ML isn't due out til late summer possibly early fall. Since I always wait til .3ish to evaluate it's stableness (is that a word?) I'll do lion. Wish me luck. Last time wasn't pretty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
Good Things Happen For People Who Wait!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The only problem you are going to get from the upgrade is the loss of any PPC only apps you might have

OP
Groovetube
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no problem for me.

Just stability, and flawless running is all I need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And if ML goes the same way as Lion downloading, you will probably need Lion instilled as the stepping stone, like SL to get Lion from the App Store.

Lion is fast and rock solid. On a MBP suggest you do a clean install rater than an upgrade.

OP
Groovetube
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did a clean install on a firewire drive.

Now my main problem is figuring out how to clone it back to my main ssd drive along with the new recovery partition (what the **** is this now...)

I have a paid version of super duper I've used for years, it doesn't seem to support this. I see CCC seems to, (and incremental now??)

Not sure how to proceed best here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As a suggestion do not clone the SSD do a clean install and then update.

OP
Groovetube
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have not heard this, I have always used cloning to hard drives with no trouble.

Aren't bits bits?

OP
Groovetube
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did a clean install and now filling it up.

But this now disturbs me. I've had the creature comforts of simply cloning, and popping it down on my main drive when I need to. Now I can no longer do this?

I have a mac retailer guy who is a long time tech strongly disagreeing with this for macs. I decided to be safe for now, But I'd really like to know definitively about this.

Because it's so much easier to install a new os, take a week or 3 to install configure everything and test, then clone it back when you're ready rather than clean install. That just plain blows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do it however you wish just be aware that this can cause slowdown, not saying it will mind you. Some SSD manufacturers, including Crucial and Seagate, provide their own cloning software. OWC do not recommend cloning for their range of SSD's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
And if ML goes the same way as Lion downloading, you will probably need Lion instilled as the stepping stone, like SL to get Lion from the App Store.

I believe the only reason SL was required to get Lion was because Lion was only available via the Mac App Store and the Mac App Store was first added to the OS with SL.

OP
Groovetube
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do it however you wish just be aware that this can cause slowdown, not saying it will mind you. Some SSD manufacturers, including Crucial and Seagate, provide their own cloning software. OWC do not recommend cloning for their range of SSD's.

Yes I read this. It seems odd to me, because generally when you place a clone over, it defragments the clone in the process. In fact, it's often been suggested to clone, then zero your drive, and put the clone back down on your zeroed drive to defrag. I've done this process and it does indeed speed everything up. SO I wonder about this. I'm not an expert here, but the idea I have to buy another ssd to clone etc seems odd. ANyway I did a fresh install for now to be sure. I had major problems with lion soon after it came out, this time I want to be sure to give it every chance to run.

I believe the only reason SL was required to get Lion was because Lion was only available via the Mac App Store and the Mac App Store was first added to the OS with SL.
True. You can save the installer and install it on your other macs even if they don't have SL. (macs 'under your control' that is)

OP
Groovetube
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
one very tricky thing apple has done.

I couldn't for the life of me figure out why hard disks would show but not my main drive. After much googling, I finally discovered that the box in sidebar prefs that I thought was checked was only, partly checked...

tricky apple. Very tricky!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.