after waking from sleep, mouse scolls over screen revealing login screen

Reaction score
after waking from sleep, mouse scolls over screen revealing login screen. the only way to get anything to work is to scroll mouse over login window and enter a password and log back in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
That should be normal.
But if you want
To avoid the login screen to appear during startup, go to System Preferences > Systems>Users&Groups>Login Options. Turn ON automatic login.
To avoid the login screen to appear after waking up, go to System Preferences > Personal >Security and Privacy>General>. Uncheck "Require Password for sleep and Screensaver".

OP
L
Reaction score
What is happening doess not seen normal. When I wake the computer, the desktop screen with whatever was previously open appears. But when I move the mouse, wherever the mouse pointer moves, it reveals parts of the login screen behind the desktop screen. If I move it around enough and reveal the whole login window I can enter my password and it logs in. I just upgraded to lion and it started happening right after that

OP
L
Reaction score
I could post a pic I took of the screen, but not sure how to do it on this thread...

Reaction score
What is happening doess not seen normal. When I wake the computer, the desktop screen with whatever was previously open appears. But when I move the mouse, wherever the mouse pointer moves, it reveals parts of the login screen behind the desktop screen. If I move it around enough and reveal the whole login window I can enter my password and it logs in. I just upgraded to lion and it started happening right after that

This absolutely happens to me as well. I feel like it happened to me with Snow Leopard and continued with Lion. I took it to a Genius Bar a while back and nobody had a clue.

So the plus side is, it's not just you. The downside is it's entirely possible nobody has any idea how to fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir, 2017 iMac from ****!
kbuihner:

Can you give us a little more information? Type of machine, what OS are you running, some basic info?

If I am reading this right, when you wake up your machine the screen has been "covered" and in order to find your way around, your cursor acts like an eraser and "uncovers' your background? Kind of like wiping condensation off a window or erasing a blackboard?

If that is what is happening to you, I had the same thing happen to my MacBook Air a month after I purchased it. My local Apple store couldn't figure it out either. It wasn't a major deal, I'd just have to 'erase' enough so I could find my log in window to type in my password and the machine would run just fine after that.

If I remember correctly, I was running Lion at the time. When I upgraded to Mountain Lion, that problem disappeared and I haven't seen it since. It must be "something" in Lion that does that.

If you are running Lion, I'd suggest an upgrade, or better yet, a clean install of another OS if your machine can handle it.

Or read CebuCity's suggestions in a post or two above yours and try that.

Good luck.

Pat

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.