Ripping Software Onto an External Hard Drive

Reaction score
Hey I have a bunch of software (applications) on my macbook that I'd like to put onto an external hard drive. If possible, how do I do this?

To clarify, I'd like to be able to take the programs and use them on another mac by transferring them onto an external hard drive.

Thanks!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hey I have a bunch of software (applications) on my macbook that I'd like to put onto an external hard drive. If possible, how do I do this?

To clarify, I'd like to be able to take the programs and use them on another mac by transferring them onto an external hard drive.

Thanks!

If you own the programs use the install media to reinstall, or redownload from the site of purchase.
If you don't own the programs we are done here. We do not support or allow discussions of software piracy.

This thread will be closed.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Thanks!

Many Mac software packages are self-contained in a .app file. These would be programs where installation involved dragging and dropping the icon into the Applications folder. In cases where that's true, you could just drag and drop the icon from the Applications folder right onto the external hard drive.

Other programs - particularly those that had an installation wizard - are not that simple. They'll need to have their installers run again in order for them to work - mostly because they modify the OS directories or place files in areas other than the Applications directory and/or the user's home folder.

More complex products like Microsoft Office, Adobe CSx, etc typically work this way. In this case, you'll need the original installation media to reinstall the product, directing it to the external (if it allows you to). And even then, you'll not be able to port the product between more than one machine as it will only have the needed support files on the machine with which it was installed.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If you own the programs use the install media to reinstall, or redownload from the site of purchase.
If you don't own the programs we are done here. We do not support or allow discussions of software piracy.

This thread will be closed.

You're right, but he didn't make mention of any commercial/copyrighted software. So, I'm going to reopen this one provided that the conversation doesn't drift in that direction.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.