finder issue?

Reaction score
In trying to uninstall Clam Xav, to finish it says to drag engine remover icon to trash; but when I empty the trash I am told I don't have sufficient privileges to perform the task. I have been told that the finder may be at fault. If so what can I do to get the finder to respond to the command. I am a neophyte so please keep all explanations simple.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You need to tell us your OSX version.
Go to Finder > Apple symbol > About this Mac
Your version number will be displayed there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suppose it could be a Finder problem. To, ahem, find out, go to your Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences folder. Look for the file called com.apple.finder.plist and drag it out onto the Desktop. Now Restart, and then try to empty the Trash.

OP
P
Reaction score
Accessed the preferences folder--couldn't find com.apple.finder.plist among all the other com.apple files---found it elsewhere--dragged it to the desktop--restarted and the trash emptied successfully. Was the folder supposed to be in the trash or just on the desktop? Then I tried to drag the clam Xav icons to the trash and again it said I didn't have sufficient privileges to do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you didn't find that file, you weren't in the right folder. I don't know YourUserName, but you do. See the path in the post above. You have to go into the correct folders.

Also, do Get Info on the files that are causing trouble. At the bottom of the pop up window, there is a padlock. Is it open or closed?

OP
P
Reaction score
As I mentioned previously, I did find the file and dragged it to the desktop. I found it by clicking on the Hard Drive icon and typing in com.apple.finder.plist. However in order to do it the right way in the future I spent some time this evening trying to do it exactly the way you spelled it out. The closest I could come was hitting Go in The finder menu and then clicking on the Home icon with my name on it. I clicked on the Library folder, then clicked Preferences, where I found com.apple.finder.plist.

That brings me to your current thread. This may show my inexperience, but i don't know how to do Get Info for the file that is giving me trouble. If it involves opening the file itself, then there is another problem. Although the com.apple files were created by I Photo, when I try to open them it tells me they are unreadable, so I clicked on the Gear icon and chose Open With, where I chose Other. In the Choose Application I chose the Microsoft Office App.---but there is only one way to close the window and that is by clicking Cancel at the bottom, thereby undoing the entire procedure.

In essence this problem is becoming more convoluted by the minute and I would understand if you chose not to get further involved.

Thanks

C

chas_m

The problem is that the engine is still active, so you can't throw it away.

Restart the machine. That should allow you to empty the trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As I mentioned previously, I did find the file and dragged it to the desktop.
To clarify my earlier response, if you found the file in a place other than where I specified, it's not the file you want.
However in order to do it the right way in the future I spent some time this evening trying to do it exactly the way you spelled it out. The closest I could come was hitting Go in The finder menu and then clicking on the Home icon with my name on it. I clicked on the Library folder, then clicked Preferences, where I found com.apple.finder.plist.
There you go. That's the correct file and folder.

That brings me to your current thread. This may show my inexperience, but i don't know how to do Get Info for the file that is giving me trouble. If it involves opening the file itself, then there is another problem. Although the com.apple files were created by I Photo, when I try to open them it tells me they are unreadable, so I clicked on the Gear icon and chose Open With, where I chose Other. In the Choose Application I chose the Microsoft Office App.---but there is only one way to close the window and that is by clicking Cancel at the bottom, thereby undoing the entire procedure.
Picky point: the whole series of posts is the thread. Now, I was suggesting getting Info on the file you cannot delete, not on the plist file. To do that, highlight the file's icon and hit Command-I. (there are other ways to do it as well)

However, try the Restart suggested above first.

OP
P
Reaction score
Unfortunately the restart suggestion didn't work. Dragging the Engine Remover icon to the trash results in "The Clam Engine Remover app will be deleted immediately. Are you sure you want to continue?" As long that warning window is on the screen the computer won't restart. If I click on OK to continue the process, then the "not having sufficient privileges" warning shows up.

I opened the ClamAV Engine Remover.app Info folder and again unfortunately, I found no padlock icon in the folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.