3TB external drive enclosures

Reaction score
I recently bought a new 3TB drive to use as an external backup (not time machine). I quickly discovered that I needed an enclosure that can handle 3TB drives. I have tried several and had no luck. Some recognize the drive, but only show 800GB max capacity, others don't appear at all, even in disk utility.

Does anyone have luck/success with finding a reliable SATA drive enclosure that works with macs, and can handle 3TB or larger drives.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We've had this come up before. Most enclosures can only handle drives up to around 1 TB. There are some which purport to be able to do 2 TB. OWC sells one for $79.99 which can do up to 4 TB, a bit pricey but high quality: LINK

If you only need to access the drive one or two times, you can use an adapter instead. Adapters are not very elegant but they work. Here is one sold by Other World Computing: LINK

Notice that it supports drives up to 3 TB and for $29.99 is well worth the cost.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.