OS 9 recipe software

Reaction score
I just acquired an old iBook running OS 9. I want to set it up in the kitchen for the wife.
Anyone know of any recipe software that will run under OS 9?
I do not want to install Panther as it only has 64mb and I cant upgrade it for a while.
(don't remember where my install disks are anyway)
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 Clamshell 366mhz+Firewire, PowerMac G4 MDD 2003 1.25Ghz(Single), Mac LC520 25MHZ
What exactly do you mean by "recipe software"?
(On the Mac I use for recipes, I just use basic Text files and such)

One thing That I will personally recommend; If its Simply going to be used for recipes, I see no reason for installing anything Higher than OS9.

Of course, if you're going to put more use to it than just Recipes, than you may want to upgrade to OSX... it might be able to run 10.2 jaguar decently with the current ram...

(assuming you have a clamshell iBook)-- The bottoms of these get pretty hot, so if you don't have some sort of marble/Granite countertop, you might want to get some sort of cooling fan to put underneath.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just acquired an old iBook running OS 9. I want to set it up in the kitchen for the wife.
Anyone know of any recipe software that will run under OS 9?
I do not want to install Panther as it only has 64mb and I cant upgrade it for a while.
(don't remember where my install disks are anyway)
Thanks.

That's a pretty tall order there.;) Not an unreasonable request...just hard to locate OS 9 software at this point...and a recipe application that was sort of a rare sort of application even when OS 9 was the "latest & greatest".

Here's some websites to search thru...maybe you'll get lucky:

Macintosh Classic Applications Software at The Mac Orchard
Macintosh Garden - Celebrating macintosh abandonware!

With each passing year...Mac OS 9 apps get harder & harder to find.

For what it's worth...I have a Clamshell iBook in my kitchen (it's been there for years). I think that I have 376meg of ram in it...and it's running OS 10.4.11. OS 10.4 does "stress" it out pretty good...but with OS 10.4 you do get newer versions of Safari.

I would probably recommend upgrading the ram when you can, and installing at least OS 10.3. This way you stand a much better chance of finding some sort of older commercial recipe applications....instead of ancient OS 9 stuff.

Good luck, :)

- Nick

OP
cradom
Reaction score
I thought about it but I remember running 10.3 and .4 on a 333 blue and white...slow. At 300 this thing would be worse. Don't really want to sink a whole lot of money in ram and other stuff for it.
Thanks for the links. I also have about 8 years of Mac Addict cd's I can look through (joy) so maybe I can find something.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I thought about it but I remember running 10.3 and .4 on a 333 blue and white...slow. At 300 this thing would be worse.

Yeah...I didn't know which Clamshell iBook you had. I have a 466mhz model...and 10.4 is pretty darn slow on it. So with a 300mhz Clamshell iBook...it would probably be "Molasses in February" slow"!;)

Don't really want to sink a whole lot of money in ram and other stuff for it.

Understandable. A ram upgrade may cost close to what the whole computer is worth at this point.

Thanks for the links. I also have about 8 years of Mac Addict cd's I can look through (joy) so maybe I can find something.

That would be awesome if you could find something. I have some of these CD's as well...don't think I have 8 years worth though.;)

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
cradom
Reaction score
Gonna take a while. I got from August of '96 (premier issue) til July of '04 (when I got tired of it). Also have some MacHome and various other cd's. Keep me busy for a little while anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.