Multiple programs opemning when logging in

Reaction score
I am new to the MAC world, just 3 weeks now. Everything has been great but 3 days ago every time I log in multiple programs open including, mail, itunes, and several others. I don't remember changing anything that would have caused this. Please help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure you actually close and quit all programs prior to shutting down the machine. Next, open System Preferences, click on the General Icon. Remove the check from the box that says "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps".

Also notice the dialog that pops up when you shut down asking you basically the same thing. Remove the check from that box too.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks. I did what you suggested but after shutting down and restarting firefox, itunes, mail, ical, and relax melodies still all are open when logging on. I am shutting down programs correctly by clicking the red X, correct. Any other suggestions.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks again, it was the checked box when shutting down. I unchecked it and everything is fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
Thanks again, it was the checked box when shutting down. I unchecked it and everything is fine.

Are you using LION 10.7.3 version? update it to 10.7.4 by  >Software Update....
When done, you will never see the box "Reopen Windows when logging back" checked again every time you shutdown or restart.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.