Problem installing xcode

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Hi there,

I am wanting to get starting on coding for OSX / iOS - it was one of my main reasons for moving over to a Mac. I've bought the 'Install Xcode' app from the Apple AppStore. I'm running Lion on an early-2012 15in MacBook Pro.

When I attempt to run the installer, it starts up and I click to start the install then accept the EULA. At this point I am prompted for my password. The input window says that the application is 'trying to add a helper'. I enter my password. The app runs for a short while then I get an error message telling me to access a log.

Finding the log was tricky, but the contents says:

Code:
Failed install preflight: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=102 "The package “DeveloperTools.pkg” is untrusted." UserInfo=0x7fdb2cc051d0 {NSLocalizedDescription=The package “DeveloperTools.pkg” is untrusted., NSURL=../Packages/DeveloperTools.pkg -- file://localhost/Applications/Install%20Xcode.app/Contents/Resources/Xcode.mpkg/, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=com.apple.pkg.DeveloperToolsLeo, NSUnderlyingError=0x7fdb2cc11140 "The operation couldn’t be completed. CSSMERR_TP_CERT_EXPIRED"}
It also says:
Code:
Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

Pretty poor for an Apple app bought form the app store. :Grimmace:

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestion on what to do to resolve this problem - I'm still very new to using my Mac and completely stumped!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The only version of Xcode that I know Apple sold on the app store is version 4 (perhaps .2) for Snow Leopard. They no longer sell it. Instead it is free from the app store.

As an alternative, create a free developer account if you haven't already and download Xcode 4.x for Lion.

OP
D

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Cheers for that. I looks like the app I had downloaded back in February has been superseded before I ever used it :D

I'm downloading the correct version now!

Edited to add: The new version from the App Store work perfectly. Phew!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.