problem with OSX10.3.5 advice on upgrade needed

Reaction score
I recently acquired an old imac G5, 1.6 Ghz 768 MB memory. I loaded the OSX 10.3.5 operating system. After installing the updates it is now running version 10.3.9. The IMAC runs fine, except that certain web sites, such as you tube will not run. When I attempt to connect, safari shuts down. I attempted to down load firefox, but the imac can't successfully download it. I have OS 10.4 discs. If I load this system, do you think this could solve the problem? If so, what do I need to do to install the new OS?

Thanks.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I recently acquired an old imac G5, 1.6 Ghz 768 MB memory. I loaded the OSX 10.3.5 operating system. After installing the updates it is now running version 10.3.9. The IMAC runs fine, except that certain web sites, such as you tube will not run. When I attempt to connect, safari shuts down. I attempted to down load firefox, but the imac can't successfully download it. I have OS 10.4 discs. If I load this system, do you think this could solve the problem? If so, what do I need to do to install the new OS?

Thanks.

First, give this a read
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...49-what-os-disk-do-i-need-brief-overview.html

Then, provided you have the right disks, boot from the OS disk (control C while starting up) and install the new OS. No need to format (erase the drive first), and as always best to have a recent backup of your HD before you start.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is OSX Panther. It's quite old and the cause of your issues. Safari is very old and many sites will not load. A Firefox that will run on that old OS is probably not going to work much better.

Which Tiger 10.4 DVD do you have? Black Full Retail or one that came with another Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
An upgrade to 10.4 would certainly help, last I checked the latest version of Firefox that would run on it still had fully functional web browsing.

If you're gonna stick with 10.3, Camino is the best way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Yes, but it's only a matter of time and 10.4 won't be advanced enough, or rather, the version of Safari that it will run. I know, I know, same holds for 10.5, which is working ok for me so far. I can see that my day is coming too. Things are slower. Eventually, they won't load.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.