re Copying to Two Drives Simultaneously

Reaction score
Hello,
I am wondering if I am missing something simple here, since I do not understand the problem I am experiencing have just moved to a new Macbook Pro with Lion installed.

I have had Macs in one form or another (G5 which is still running, and 4 or 5 Macbook Pros) over the last 9 years or so.

With every Mac OS (up till now), I have done my redundant backup of files (image files, graphics files, video files, document files), by hooking up two external drives to the Mac, then dragging the content folder(s) from the source, to the two external drives. For 9 years now, every Mac OS has copied those files simultaneously to both drives, with an active progress bar showing that the files were indeed being copied to the two drives simultaneously (not exactly simultaneously of course, but still, copying to both drives).

For some bizarre reason, with Lion, this does not seem to be possible. Drag a single file to two separate drives, or a folder to two separate drives , or multiple items to two separate drives, and LION will only copy to ONE drive at a time. It will only copy to the first drive and the progress bar for the second drive says "Calculating time to transfer", but the OS will not begin copying to the second drive until the first drive is completely finished. SO, before, if you were for instance transferring 150GB of files to two drives for redundant backup, that would take approximately 11 hours or so, and now it takes nearly twice as long.
Am I missing out on something here? How can Apple consider taking the ability to this out of the OS to be progress? Something that every one of their OS's has been able to do for over a decade now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.