macbook can't see hard drive anymore

ciu

Reaction score
I wanted to reinstall osx and obviously I had to erase the disk,so I did with zero out data option ,it told me I had to wait about 30 minutes,after about 20 min it gave an error saying something that disk erase failed...,and now it can't see the hard drive at all,I don't know what can I do.Please help me very much appreciated

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't provide us with any other information about your MacBook or which version of OS X you're running, however, it's possible the hard drive has failed. And if that's true, it means installing a new one before you can reinstall OS X.

OP
C

ciu

Reaction score
You didn't provide us with any other information about your MacBook or which version of OS X you're running, however, it's possible the hard drive has failed. And if that's true, it means installing a new one before you can reinstall OS X.

model :macbook a1181 (2007) OS X 10.6,when it was still working it had 10.5,it is the original hard drive ,and when I power it on it shows me a grey folder with this sign on (?) it,(sorry for my english)

Reaction score
i am not very good with mac solutions, but i am sure you could attempt to start up in safe mode, and see if your hard drive is still even accessible.

to do a safe boot, you hold the shift key immediately after your mac startsup.

also, please check out this link, seems like it could help you: Direct from Doctor Mac: Quick, easy fixes | Macworld

good luck!

OP
C

ciu

Reaction score
thank you very much to all who helped me,the problem was the hard drive ,I replaced it and it starts,I think I'll never erase hard drives with zero out option again or maybe my hard drive had already some problems and I didn't know

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.