MBP Temperature and Fans

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
Hey I just was wondering if it is normal for my macbook pro's temperature to be 184 degrees Fahrenheit and my fans running at 4422rpm. I currently have 10 tabs open in google chrome, my email app on the dock, and a python IDLE shell open. I also just recently got my fans replaced because my old ones were making a weird noise so the fans should be running very well. My macbook pro is also being charged and sitting on the table flat too. I have a 2011 macbook pro 13 inch i5 processor with 8gb of ram.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey I just was wondering if it is normal for my macbook pro's temperature to be 184 degrees Fahrenheit and my fans running at 4422rpm.

Not a problem...my MBP's cpu temp is currently 173°F, fan rpm 4100. If it was a problem...the computer would shut itself off automatically.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
Not a problem...my MBP's cpu temp is currently 173°F, fan rpm 4100. If it was a problem...the computer would shut itself off automatically.

- Nick

well ya that's only if there is a major problem..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
well ya that's only if there is a major problem..

There's no real "in between" way of measuring if a specific temperature & fan speed is "good, ok, slightly bad, or bad"...because the parameters/conditions that you're using your MBP under vs. someone else with the exact same temp/rpms...are not comparable.

Two people with the exact same temps & fan rpms...could be doing drastically different things & and be doing them under drastically different environmental conditions:

- If you were using your MBP in the middle of the hot Sahara Desert...and someone else was using their MBP in Alaska...that's a BIG difference in operating conditions.
- If you were playing Diablo 3 for the past 2 hours...and someone else just had their MBP doing nothing...that would be a BIG difference in operating conditions.
- If you had your MBP on a nice flat wooden tabletop...that would be different than if someone was using their MBP on their bed with a blanket on it.

The bottom line's are:

- Shouting out temperatures & fan rpm's don't really mean a whole lot...since different operating conditions can cause different temps & fan rpm's.
- If your MBP is running...then the temps/rpms are fine. If the temps/rpms are "not fine" then the MBP will shut off automatically.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.