Need help installing 10.4 on an eMac G4

Reaction score
Got an old eMac G4 which somebody tried installing Linux on. I have the Tiger 10.4 DVD but the optical drive keeps rejecting it ( I think it might just be a CDROM). Tried an external IDE DVD to USB connection but it keep telling me to type "mac-boot", but it just recycles. Also, tried holding down the C key during the process. Anyone got any suggestion? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of Tiger DVD is it? By that I mean is it model specific (gray - silver color) or retail (black)? A model specific Tiger DVD will not work on the eMac unless it's specifically for that model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
PowerPC Macs cannot boot from USB, only intel Macs can. It's also very possible that you only have a CD drive. If you do have a retail 10.4 disk, you'll probably want to get an external firewire DVD drive and boot from that.

Reaction score
If they put Linux on it the Mac firmware is gone on the HD...you my have issues reinstalling a MacOS. If a retail disc want work and boot...take out the HD and reformat it as a Mac external or PC slave and put it back. Then try and load the Mac OS...hold down the C key.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.