Updated software and..... No itunes, Iphoto, mail, safari, or software updater

Reaction score
Hey all,
I own an iMac, which runs os x 10.6.8 with an Intel core. A few days ago, I updated lots of software (including the not-so-recent security update) iTunes, Safari, and a few others I don't remember. I let that run overnight, and when I came back in the morning, have my applications had stopped working. Thos listed in the title are the main ones, but there a a few other (including Utorrent, Avaast, Pacifist, and Zipeg so far) which are not built-in and were not included in the update.Due to its far-reaching consequences, I'd hedge my bets on it being due to the security update, but I have no proof. Google proved fruitless, so now I'm appealing for help. (For any smart-arses wondering how I can use google without safari, Chrome + firefox work fine)
So far I have tried:
- Deleting all the com.apple.x.plist files for the relevant apps
- Deleting iPhoto entirely (it worked for one person)
- repairing disk permissions

And if I don't here from anyone, I'm going to try reinstalling OS X.

OP
M
Reaction score
Tried that, it hasn't helped.
However, rebooting gave me another symptom : My macs loading time, both for the whole os, and the individual accounts, was more than tripled compared to normal.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Before deciding on reinstalling Snow Leopard, I suggest doing a verify and if necessary, repair of your hard drive. Boot the machine with your Snow Leopard DVD and enter Disk Utilities. Click on the First Aid tab and run a verify and repair for the hard drive.

It's possible your hard drive is acting up and that may be the reason for all your difficulties.

OP
M
Reaction score
I already tried that, as mentioned in my original post. TY anyway.

It turns out that the update failed for some reason ( I don't know why) leaving me without a web kit framework. By the time I had deleted and reinstalled safari, it re-added the required framework. Problem solved.

C

chas_m

Moral of the story: when leaving a large download to run overnight, DISABLE your energy saver settings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.