Good OS For PowerMac G4

Reaction score
I do not have Mac Os 9 (if you can send an iso that might solve my problem) Do you have any suggestions for my problem

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Do you have any suggestions for my problem

Maybe if you stated what your problem is...we could provide some suggestions.:)

- If your problem is that you do not have Mac OS 9...look on e-Bay for it.

- The thread title says, "Good OS for Powermac G4". This is a different problem than "I do not have Mac OS 9."

If this is the case/problem...it would help to know what the cpu speed is of your Powermac G4...since the OS recommendation will be different. Could be OS 10.3, 10.4, or 10.5. But in any of these cases...looking on e-Bay will solve the problem (because this is where you will find them for sale).

So please clearly state what the exact problem is...

OP
L
Reaction score
Sorry

Maybe if you stated what your problem is...we could provide some suggestions.:)

- If your problem is that you do not have Mac OS 9...look on e-Bay for it.

- The thread title says, "Good OS for Powermac G4". This is a different problem than "I do not have Mac OS 9."

If this is the case/problem...it would help to know what the cpu speed is of your Powermac G4...since the OS recommendation will be different. Could be OS 10.3, 10.4, or 10.5. But in any of these cases...looking on e-Bay will solve the problem (because this is where you will find them for sale).

So please clearly state what the exact problem is...
Heres my problem : I need an OS to install. I have a 450MGz with 256MBs of ram. What would be the best os (Linux recommendations would be fine too)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Heres my problem : I need an OS to install. I have a 450MGz with 256MBs of ram. What would be the best os (Linux recommendations would be fine too)

I would go with OS 10.3 or 10.4. Both available on e-Bay. I personally would go with 10.4...but 10.3 would probably cost less.

With 256meg of ram...you could definitely use a ram upgrade.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One more FYI. It's going to cost you wayyy more to get this computer running than the computer is worth. This computer is worth maybe $20-$25 bucks (maybe).

Unless you have ram & a hard drive laying around collecting dust...the cost of ram, a hard drive, and the OS...will easily cost you $100-$125 (for a $20 dollar computer).

Sometimes free is not always free.;)

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
My thoughts on what you said

One more FYI. It's going to cost you wayyy more to get this computer running than the computer is worth. This computer is worth maybe $20-$25 bucks (maybe).

Unless you have ram & a hard drive laying around collecting dust...the cost of ram, a hard drive, and the OS...will easily cost you $100-$125 (for a $20 dollar computer).

Sometimes free is not always free.;)

- Nick
First off I do have harddrive and ram lying around (funny how that works) and I'm willing to pay to get it running. I may just run powerpc Ubuntu on it instead of spending money, I really don't know

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That machine uses PC100 SDRAM Dimms. Each slot will take a 512 Meg as long as it's Low Density RAM. Do not use High Density RAM. It will not work. If you can upgrade to at least 512 Megs RAM, go on ebay and get 10.4 Tiger . Make sure it's a Full Retail BLACK DVD. Also does that PowerMac have a DVD drive?

If you really want to experience a Mac, OSX would be your best bet.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First off I do have harddrive and ram lying around (funny how that works) and I'm willing to pay to get it running. I may just run powerpc Ubuntu on it instead of spending money, I really don't know

Not really funny...I have spare parts laying around as well...but my spare parts are for Macintosh computers.:)

As "dtravis7" mentioned...if you have PC100 ram that came from Windows computers...it may or may not work. Those Powermac G4's can be picky what you use in them. Any old IDE HD will work...just have to reformat it for a Mac.

If you have the parts laying around to get this computer running...great!:) But the OS is still going to cost you (about $80 bucks for OS 10.4).

You're not exactly the first person to want to do a project like this...that's why I gave you the warning about the costs (computer value & cost to get it running).

Many folks appreciate a "heads up" regarding costs...since it really stinks to find out later on that a person has "sunk" $100+ into a $20 computer...then finds out that they could have simply purchased a better computer (Powermac G5) with almost the same money...AND it be a much more capable computer than a 450mhz Powermac G4.

How capable? How about a 450mhz single processor vs. a dual 1.8 or 2.0ghz setup!

You will also find that internet surfing on a 450mhz Powermac G4 to be pretty "pokey"...not just because of the slow cpu...but the seriously outdated graphics hardware.

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.