MacBook Pro (early 2008) Frozen, Black Screen, Wont Force Quit

Reaction score
Hi. Basic rundown...

Had several programs running (iMovie, Photoshop, Chrome, a few apps). Exporting a movie in iMovie while surfing on Chrome.

Screen froze, became unresponsive to anything. Force quit (held down power button).

Tried resetting SMC a few times, unplugged, removed battery and memory, everything I can Google. Still nothing. The CD rom makes a little "clicking" sound when I turn on, and the power light in the front is half illuminated, but the keyboard is stuck (cap-locks doesnt respond). I can hear the fan humming. Other than that, screen is black and no chime when I *try* to restart.

A little background if it helps...

Had the logic board replaced in July '11...less than a year ago. This morning the CD rom froze when I tried to eject a movie I was watching. Finally got it to force quit and eject, and no problems until now. Wondering if its video related? And not logic board...again??? Any help is so appreciated!

UPDATE: I just inserted a CD into the rom to see what would happen and all the normal clicking and humming sounds happened. But still no activity. :[ Currently, I have it unplugged and waiting for the battery to run down...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Had the logic board replaced in July '11...less than a year ago. This morning the CD rom froze when I tried to eject a movie I was watching. Finally got it to force quit and eject, and no problems until now. Wondering if its video related? And not logic board...again??? Any help is so appreciated!

Apple recalled 2007 and early 2008 MBPs with the nVidia graphic chipset due to a high rate of failure. I believe they extended the warranty on the logic board to 3 years. Was your logic board replaced because of the recall?

It does sound like a video problem which of course means the logic board since the video chipset is surface mounted on it. If your machine is one that I described above and the logic board was replaced, contact Apple and see what they can do.

OP
N
Reaction score
Drat. I was afraid of that. No, I wasnt aware of the recall and just paid for the logic board. I would assume that the new one would be under warranty? I will contact them and see what else I can find out. Thanks so much for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.