(First Mac) Portable vs. Desktop ?

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17", 160 GB, 512RAM/ iPod 1gen, 15G/iPod video black
Well,
I've always wanted a Mac. Especially the G4 iMacs...

Anyway, I've convinced my dad to get me one for xMas. Originally he wanted to get me a PC laptop, and when I asked him if I could get something different he gave me a budget of 1300. Well, should I ask him for a portable (iBook or refurb PowerBook) or Desktop (refurb iMac G5) ?

Things I do:
Web Design (Personal Domains, and forums, sometimes I do pay work/customs)
(Heavy) listening to music
Recording/Editing music
Wanting to start working on movies
Watch DVDs
Writing (Novel-length stories), so I'll need to buy MS Office. Unless Open-Office has a mac version
Browse the net a lot
Virtual Classes (I have a PC for this though)
AIM/LJ/Myspace
Blogging

The portability issue isn't that much, as I'm still in High School. It might be useful next year, as I'm going in to a Tech Magnet program most likely. The only thing I really wanted a laptop for was to be able to write in bed...

So which do you think will be better for me ?

I was thinking of getting an iMac G5 refurb from somewhere like PowerMax, and then just getting a copy of Tiger off of eBay since most of theirs come with Panther. And saving up for an iBook G4 with my own cash...

OP
BoA

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just wanted to update and say I'm getting the iMac...

J

JSchultz

Good! You'll probably want a 14" iBook, or even a refurb 15" Powerbook for what you're doing. I love my mega wide screen..I wouldn't have been able to do all my artifact/portfolio education work without it. It really helps to be able to have excel worksheets/word documents etc.. all next to each other. My literature papers have been more bearable too, I can effectively scale up to read better w/o losing screen space. I had 2 12" iBooks and and a 12" powerbook at one time, and those weren't as workspace friendly as the 15".

Good luck!

OP
BoA

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^Thanks!

I'm extra excited about getting my first Mac, this is too much for one puerto rican kid to handle lol :D.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
OpenOffice DOES have a Mac version, for the record. it's called NeoOffice. It can be found here: http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/index.php

Also, I'd definitely recommend getting the previous revision of iMacs. Maybe a 17" 2.0 GHz. GREAT value.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.