Is it supposed to show something....

Reaction score
I found a PowerMac G4 in the trash and got ram today,It has no harddrive BTW, so I put the ram in and connected it to a monitor through VGA. When I turned it on I heard the bong but nouthing on the screen. Is the graphics card broken.
Its a AGP graphics

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There should be a label on the back with the shipping specs. Post those if you can so we know what machine you found.

One quick thing to try. Do you have a keyboard plugged in? Is it an Apple keyboard? If it's an Apple one, right after that startup sound, hold and keep down the following keys, Command+Option+P+R. Hold down all 4 keys right after that sound and wait for two more startup sounds. That resets the PRAM.

Since you say the video card is AGP, Is it seated all the way in the AGP socket on the board?

The Startup sound is a good sign as it's probably passing the RAM you installed.

If the keyboard you are using is a Windows keyboard, Hold down: Control+ALT+P+R like above.

OP
L
Reaction score
The model

The model is AGP Graphics Model (when I looked up the serial) I will try a pram reset and make sure the gcard in. I will remind you though, THIS HAS NO OS INSTALLED just incase

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you

There should be a label on the back with the shipping specs. Post those if you can so we know what machine you found.

One quick thing to try. Do you have a keyboard plugged in? Is it an Apple keyboard? If it's an Apple one, right after that startup sound, hold and keep down the following keys, Command+Option+P+R. Hold down all 4 keys right after that sound and wait for two more startup sounds. That resets the PRAM.

Since you say the video card is AGP, Is it seated all the way in the AGP socket on the board?

The Startup sound is a good sign as it's probably passing the RAM you installed.

If the keyboard you are using is a Windows keyboard, Hold down: Control+ALT+P+R like above.
This worked

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP has mentioned that this computer has no hard drive in it (and thus of course has absolutely no operating system)...so I'm kind of confused how successful this exercise was...other than getting a grey screen with the flashing "?".:Confused:

Am I missing something??

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Explanation....

OP has mentioned that this computer has no hard drive in it (and thus of course has absolutely no operating system)...so I'm kind of confused how successful this exercise was...other than getting a grey screen with the flashing "?".:Confused:

Am I missing something??

- Nick

The problem was that there was no flashing screen

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.