• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Steve Jobs wanted to build 'iCar,' Apple board member says

Reaction score
Steve Jobs wanted to build 'iCar,' Apple board member says

J. Crew CEO and Apple board member Mickey Drexler claims that the tech giant's co-founder Steve Jobs had aspirations of designing a full-fledged automobile.
mf.gif

a2t.img

Read more

Reaction score
While I can't help but wonder what Jobs would have come up with, I rather like the idea of an iPad being like a car's "central computer." Slide it into the dash, and you can control your radio with vocal SIRI commands, answer Skype calls, get updated maps over 4G for your GPS, record memos, load up Radarscope when the clouds get thick, interface with car sensors that can tell you when tires are too low, report on your fuel economy, and more. The goons in the garage hook up to the computer to diagnose problems - and maybe there's an iPad app for that too -- with an instructional eBook -- for the do-it-yourself types

And, then, of course, you can pull the iPad out to continue on your way -- keeping all your data with you at home or the office. Scotty, I'm ready to beam up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Computers/gadgets and the auto industry are light years apart IMHO. Good luck with that one Apple. LOL.

Anyhow, I can't imagine the "walled garden" concept being very popular when extended to a vehicle.

"We can't service your vehicle under warranty because your are running Goodyears and not iTires."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Computers/gadgets and the auto industry are light years apart IMHO. Good luck with that one Apple. LOL.

That's the same thing people said about the cell phone market when the original iPhone was brewing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
This news has been out/known since 2007!
Just google/yahoo "apple collaborating with vw iCar," and check the dates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
They might as well do something with those billions swishing around in their bank account

It might be interesting to see a car designed by a company that doesn't believe in focus groups, they would have to put a serious false body on the prototype, its a lot harder to hide a car size object than a prototype MacBook Pro or iPhone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
There was actually a prototype of an iCar. It failed miserably though, and had to be scrapped because most of the tests showed that it would constantly crash into walls. When asked how this could possibly happen, with all the tech available and all, it was said that people were holding the steering wheel wrong.

TADAAA! ;D;D

Me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 13 in., Late 2011, 4GB Ram, i7 Processor
I wonder how the Car would have turned out

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.