Making a USB install disc for macbook air using a windows PC!

Reaction score
Ok i have an iMac and a macbook air, so this guide here seems good for me right?

How to Create a Mac Snow Leopard USB Installer Disk

The problem I've got is that my iMac superdrive is screwed, it just won't read anything (disc is new etc but the drive won't work with pretty much ANY disc at all, and i mean any, just spits them out after a few seconds of trying to read it).

Anyways, can this process as described in the URL above be done using a windows based pc? i also have one as a media centre in my room and it has a working dvd drive..... if so what do i need to do? this is driving me insane! i cannot afford an external superdrive or any other external drives at the moment nor is the iMac in warranty and nor do i have the ability to take it anywhere.

EDIT: just ejected the disc and now its scratched to ****! it works fine though still in the windows pc, i.e.: still readable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
is there an apple store close by ? maybe you can take the usb drive, MBA and talk to them about your situation, they could help you get the usb drive created,
Genius bar will take care of you. Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.