Migration Assistant failing to see Pass code

Reaction score
I'm trying to use the Migration Assistant to migrate my data files from a Dell XP Sp3 to my new iMac. The PC never seems to be able to read or display the Passcode generated by the Mac. I have seen posts on other sites stating the same issue. does anyone here have an idea if it can work. or will I have to try to migrate everything Manually?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you using the Windows Migration Assistant as provided by Apple? LINK Note: This only works if your version of OS X is Lion.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yes I used that Link and downloaded it to my PC and ran the setup. The new iMac sees the PC and then displays the PASSCODE, but the Migration Assistant on the PC just keeps cycling the progress bar and does not seem to be able to lock on to the mac. I have 10.7.4 on my iMac

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you also read the following KB article: LINK ? Note that your PC and Mac have to be networked in order for the Migration Assistant to work.

If you're still having difficulty with this process, move your documents, email, bookmarks, music, and photos over manually. The Windows Migration Assistant will create a new account on your Mac which means you'll be moving things anyway.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yes the two machines are tied together on the same network. I even tried direct peer to peer, but no luck. I was really hoping to have a simple migration, of all of my data but it looks like I will have to Manually move them over.

Thanks for you advice

C

chas_m

It's best for the two machines to be directly connected via Ethernet or USB rather than just "on the same network." It's a pity the PC couldn't see the passcode, seems strange since the Mac saw the PC so easily.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yes I did try connecting them together with a single Ethernet cable. But still it just hung there. Perhaps I could have waited for a 1/2 hr but I could not stand waiting.

As much as I would have preferred to have the auto Migration work, I have to admit that Im getting a good crash course in setting up a mac and understanding some of the basics. I think it would have better if I had a Mac User near by so I could ask simple questions instead of trying to make research or figuring it out.

I will write a new question about .AppleDouble files on my NAS share Drive

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.