Media Server - Will time capsule work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 320 GB Intel dual core - 4GB ram
Hi everybody,
I'm having this problem on my home network.

Right now I have a Linksys E3000 router connected to another linksys modem (for internet), I use the E3000 to connect an external HDD via USB, to stream my movies directly to the TV (since it has built in media center capabilities) and a multimedia receiver i just bought (ASUS wifi), connected to the bedroom TV.

The connection drops every now and then and i have to reboot the E3000 for it to work again.

Since i have never had any issues with Apple products, I was thinking of purchasing a Time Capsule, but my questions are:

1 - does it act as a ADSL modem too or just as a router?

2 - would i be able to use it as a standalone media center without having anything else on (macbook, apple tv, etc.)

It's really frustrating watching a tv show and having it drop in the middle of it, since once it starts back up i am unable for fast forward it to where i left off.

Thank you for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
1. It's just a router.
2. you can store your files on it but whatever device 'pulls' the file needs to be able to decode the file. It' all depends on your TV and this ASUS device as to whether it'll work.

It's likely your issues are due to the USB connection. They are notoriously fritzy on routers for for permanent connection to external storage.

When you say Media Center capabilities do you mean it's a DLNA server? If so I'd suggest investing in a NAS drive with DLNA capabilities

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, i skipped a question.
When i say "media center" i mean that in the e300's web setup page (found at 192.160.2.1) there's a tab called Storage, and in the submenu i can turn on or off the Media Center option and choose the media center name (that will be found by the Tv, receiver, etc$

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It's not clear if your TV insists on a DLNA server or not but you can try it yourself.

Turn off the media center function on your router and reboot the router.

Now try and browse to the content on the hard disk as per page 29 of the manual. Try the same with your ASUS kit.

If you can browse and play video OK, so will the Time Capsule. If you can't then you need a DLNA server and a Time Capsule doesn't have this feature

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually that does make sense! I didn't think about that!
I'll try it when i get home and let you know!

Should that fail it means i need some thing with DLNA, are there any NAS HDD that had DLNA in them? I'd want to get rid of the E3000, it just seems a lot of hassle for nothing, and then you say USB ports on routers usually have problems...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Several NAS drives have DLNA. I favour Buffalo NAS kit but I'm sure others will have their own opinions.

My two Buffalo LinkStations are in use daily and have been for 5+ years now. Never a problem with them. Fully DLNA compliant.

If you teamed a DLNA compliant NAS up with an Airport extreme or time capsule you've got a pretty flexible yet robust setup that'll likely handle any future changes you make to your TV set up etc

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so i tried disabling the Media Server option on the E3000 router and the ASUS O-play can pull media from the NAS, but the Tv can't.
And interesting thing i noticed is that when i was browsing the network with the ASUS, i was actually browsing the drive itself i.e. /networkname/shared/movies and not the actual media server names. As i said the media serve has a different name from the network, default names are: Media server is Cisco and network is linksys.
The even stranger thing is that the TV is able to read xVid files but the ASUS is not, which i found really strange since it virtually reads anything, how could that be?
I am not converting everything to divx, but i still can't get it...

I looked around for some empty NAS cases, and let me tell you, here in Italy prices are pretty high!
Buffalos run for €250 (about $325) for the smallest.

I found a Netgear stora MS200 case, how is it?

Reaction score
We use a recycled pc running Freenas. It supports DLNA. It's not that bad to set up, but I would read the documentation before attempting it, if you go this route.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nah, i doubt i'll go that route, my needs aren't worth having another pc running, my livingroom already looks like a xmas tree with all the stand-by LEDs aroubd the room LOL.
Thanks for the suggestion though, i'll read up on it just for personal knowledge!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've no direct experience with the Netgear Stora but it is DLNA compliant and would perform the function you need

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.