Hooking up my Macbook Pro to an HDTV

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I wasn't sure what forum to post this in, so I'm going with the more general one to be safe.

I've had my MacBook Pro for over two years now, and I love it. I'm a huge baseball fan, and watching my favorite team has not been an issue since I have been in-market for the local broadcasts. However, next month I will be moving out of market and will be purchasing a service called MLB.TV to watch my team on my MacBook Pro. However, it would be preferable to display the image on my TV screen, since it is much bigger. Back when I was a Windows user, I used this service while I was away at college. Unfortunately the situation is different since back then I had a Dell laptop and a non-HDTV. I now have a MacBook Pro and an HDTV, so the old wire I used back in the day will not longer work.

Any suggestions for a good brand of cable to hook up my MacBook Pro to an HDTV? Preferably one that feeds the audio out through the TV speakers as well, since I find the MacBook speakers a little too soft sometimes. I saw a couple on amazon.com that had some mixed reviews, so I figured I would ask some fellow MacBook users directly for help. Thanks in advance for any insight!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I have a 2010 MBP. I bought a Mini Display Port to HDMI cable from Amazon for my HDTV. No need for adapter. Just plug straight into the HDMI on the back of the TV. It essentially function the same as a regular HDMI cable so just designate the audio from the computer to go through the same as a HDMI cable. 1 cable for both audio and video. Works great with downloaded movies that I want to watch on my HDTV.

Mini Display to HDMI cable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.