Video Output

Reaction score
I'm using a 13'' 2011 Macbook Pro and I just purchased a 23" Asus V232H monitor. I can use the monitor just fine, but the resolution isn't right. There's about an inch on the left and right side of the monitor that is totally black; basically, the picture doesn't fill the entire screen on my external monitor. This is only an issue whenever I Mirror what is on my laptop. I want to play games on my external monitor and I can only do that when I use desktop mirroring. Can anyone help me? I would like either a way to make mirroring cover the entire screen on my external, or I would like to be able to play games like Diablo 3 and League of Legends on my external monitor without having to mirror. Thanks in advance

-DRL

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Not being a gamer I could be wrong about this but it won't cost anything to try, I believe the following will make the games play without having to mirror" Make sure the external monitor is connected and powered on first:

1. Go to the Displays preference pane in System Preferences.
2. Click the arrangement tab.
3, The blue boxes represent your monitors. Drag the white line at the top of one box to the top of the other box. Then uncheck "Mirror Displays".
4. Close the preference pane and launch one of the games.

Chances are it will appear on the external monitor since that is now defined as the primary monitor.

OP
D
Reaction score
Not being a gamer I could be wrong about this but it won't cost anything to try, I believe the following will make the games play without having to mirror" Make sure the external monitor is connected and powered on first:

1. Go to the Displays preference pane in System Preferences.
2. Click the arrangement tab.
3, The blue boxes represent your monitors. Drag the white line at the top of one box to the top of the other box. Then uncheck "Mirror Displays".
4. Close the preference pane and launch one of the games.

Chances are it will appear on the external monitor since that is now defined as the primary monitor.

BEAUTIFUL. I was wondering if I could change my primary monitor, and you just showed me how. Thanks a ton
-DRL

and yes, this fixed my problem

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OP
D
Reaction score
Glad to hear that fixed the problem. BTW there are some other interesting tricks with dual monitors that may or may not be useful to you ATPM 14.12 - How To: Taming the Two-headed Monster: Using Two Monitors With Your Mac.

BTW My wife is experimenting with Diablo 3 when the servers are up. Are you having any of the issues with losing achievements that some users are having?

I haven't lost any achievements yet but the lag has killed me 6 times in a row. I quit Steam to make sure it wasn't doing anything funny and the lag is still unbearable. I can play LoL and my Xbox just fine, so it has to be on Blizzard's side of things. At least we can log in now though :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.