Imac wireless issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac, Quad Core 2.8Ghz i7
Hi there, I have recently brought a new 2011 21.5 iMac, I have all updates and everything is running fine besides the wireless internet.

My connection is constantly dropping even though it says its connected, it also happens almost every time I bring the iMac out of sleep mode and it says its connected but no internet pages load. So when this happens I have to click on 'Turn off Wi-Fi and turn it on again. Then everything works fine until it does it again no to long afterward.

Ive looked up this problem on google and it seems to be a common problem among the 2011 iMacs but no one seems to have a solution, does anyone know of a fix for this very frustrating problem? As it seems to be happening more frequently.

Cheers
Eamon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello,
Yes it is very common. The bug regarding users being forced to manually re-connect after wake up was recently fixed in an update.

You don't say what OS version you are running.

Constant drop-outs can be caused by all sorts of factors however (equipment sat next to a cordless phone 2.4Ghz base station is a classic), and the only thing that worked for me was to buy a new dual-band wireless modem/ router and put my iMac on the 5Ghz band and let the router automatically change channels when it saw conflict with other networks.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im running OS X Lion 10.7.4. but is still happening. The router seems to work fine for everything else beside my iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im running OS X Lion 10.7.4. but is still happening. The router seems to work fine for everything else beside my iMac.

OK what type of router is it please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still there Eamon?

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry, its a Thomson router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
there's quite a lot of numbers on the back not sure what one is the model number, would it be TG 585 v7?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
there's quite a lot of numbers on the back not sure what one is the model number, would it be TG 585 v7?

Yes it is, I'll be back to you shortly.Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your router is wireless B/G and is transmitting on the 2.4 Ghz band. I was going to suggest that you do a firmware upgrade but from what I can see the router is only upgradeable via a PC running Windows and preferably XP which is a pain.

There are a number of options that you can try such as doing a simple reset i.e. pull the plug, disconnect all cables, reconnect and reboot.

You can try connecting via ethernet to see if that helps.

You can also do a hard reset by pressing and holding the reset button whilst inserting a paperclip into the reset pinhole at the back and holding for at least 7 seconds until the light goes red..release and then wait until it goes green. You will need your broadband username and password in order to then apply your settings again.

Try moving any other equipment such as cordless phone base stations and any compact fluorescent table lamps

To be honest, without Mac support for the router you are always going to have difficulties.

Read this article and see how you feel afterwards. I struggled with this very same issue for 12 months so I know how frustrating it can be.

Ask Ars: are dual-band 802.11n routers worth the extra cost? | Ars Technica

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.