How to rotate a video 180 deg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a free program for mac that will allow video rotating? I have an upside down video that I shot on my iphone and despite my best efforts, I cannot find a free way to fix it. Thanks.

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a free program for mac that will allow video rotating? I have an upside down video that I shot on my iphone and despite my best efforts, I cannot find a free way to fix it. Thanks.

Do you not have iMovie? It will allow you to rotate clips.

Reaction score
Is it a movie format that Quicktime Player will open? If so then you can rotate the video under 'edit' I believe.

OP
L
Reaction score
Quicktime Player will open it however "rotate" is not an option under the edit tab or any of the other tabs.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Give Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows a try. Open the video that yo want to rotate. Then choose one of the export options. I dialog will appear with several options. The one you are looking for is"rotation". Once you have chosen settings you will be asked for name and save location of the file.

OP
L
Reaction score
It worked!

You are awesome! Squared 5 worked perfectly. Thank you very much, I appreciate it.

OP
L
Reaction score
I don't know what to tell you except that my Macbook pro, which I did purchase new from Apple in early 2008, absolutely does not have iMovie.

Reaction score
I don't know what to tell you except that my Macbook pro, which I did purchase new from Apple in early 2008, absolutely does not have iMovie.

Did you reinstall your system at some point?

OP
L
Reaction score
Yeah, I was just thinking about that. I did upgrade my operating system. Perhaps it wasn't included free with that and the original copy was removed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Your Mac would have come with two grey DVDs:
One with OSX
One with iLife (in 2008 this would be iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb)

If you re-installed afresh then you'd have had to have used the iLife/Applications disc to get those apps back.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
In a "normal" upgrade it would not be removed. Did you perhaps do a clen instal at some point?

Reaction score
Give Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows a try. Open the video that yo want to rotate. Then choose one of the export options. I dialog will appear with several options. The one you are looking for is"rotation". Once you have chosen settings you will be asked for name and save location of the file.

The problem with Square 5 is that it, like QuickTime, shows the upside-down video in the correct orientation. That means I have to export and watch the video somewhere else before I realize it is upside-down.

It would be nice to have an application that shows the video the way it really is, so that I can see what changes are needed.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It would be nice to have an application that shows the video the way it really is, so that I can see what changes are needed.

- It would be nice if humans could fly.
- It would be nice if I could win the lottery.
- It would be nice if I could get a fully configured new Mac Pro for free.
- It would be nice if I could have a full head of hair.
- It would be nice if I didn't have to shave everyday.
- It wold be nice if we could eat whatever I wanted & not get fat.
- It would be nice if we had transporters like on Star Trek.

It sure would be nice...:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The problem with Square 5 is that it, like QuickTime, shows the upside-down video in the correct orientation. That means I have to export and watch the video somewhere else before I realize it is upside-down.

We' we come full circle. What you need is iMovie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.