Where are my .js files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 8Gb Ram 1TB Fusion HD + MBP
I moved over to the cloud early on and moved my website to Godaddy. I have no problem editing and updating my webpages with iWeb but I have a .mov embedded on my welcome page and if I edit my welcome page the setting for the .mov file changes to the default. In iDisk I could go to the folder where my welcome.js file was and I could change it back. Since my move to the cloud there is no iDisk to go to to change the file. There is a "Site" folder on my desktop with those files in it but when I change the .js file it has no effect on the web page. I called Godaddy and they told me where I could find the files stored on their server. I found the welcome.js file, changed it but it still had no effect on the web page. Is there another directory somewhere storing my .js files?

TIA
rd

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm a little confused about your setup right now. If I understand it correctly, you're hosting your website with GoDaddy. If that's correct, the file you want to edit will be on their servers. It won't be on your computer unless of course you edit it there and you then upload it to your web host.

However, you mention "the cloud" which doesn't refer to anything specific. Are you talking about your web host in this instance?

OP
RezDuane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I found the file on their server. Edited it for what I need but it had no effect on my web page. It's as though I did nothing.

It's an old setup where I converted an MP3 file to a .mov file so I could embed it on my welcome page. That, apparently, was the way you did it back then. It placed code in the welcome.js file that designated whether or not it would loop, or if the controller would show or if it would autoplay. Those particular codes would revert back to the default whenever I did ANY editing on the welcome page. So I would have to go back into the welcome.js file and change the code back.

I'm a little confused about your setup right now. If I understand it correctly, you're hosting your website with GoDaddy. If that's correct, the file you want to edit will be on their servers. It won't be on your computer unless of course you edit it there and you then upload it to your web host.

I'm referring to iCloud. All my web files were stored on the iDisk in the past. Now that Apple is dropping mobile me, including iDisk, the web files are stored elsewhere. I found the files in the "Site" folder on my desktop. I don't suppose that my website is using those files though. I figure the website is pulling the files it needs from Godaddy's server which I found.

However, you mention "the cloud" which doesn't refer to anything specific. Are you talking about your web host in this instance?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yes, the files are being pulled from somewhere online and I'm willing to bet that they are in the same location as your other content. A simple way to know if you've edited the right file is to add something that will be obvious when you refresh the page. I like to use an alert:
Code:
alert("The page was refreshed.");
With that, it will be obvious you edited the right page because you'll get a message dialog.

OP
RezDuane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll give that a try . . .
thanks

OP
RezDuane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
.js files

OK, did that. Nothing. I changed the files on the ftp site on go daddy and also changed the files on my "Site" folder on my desktop. Neither had any effect. So I went to iWeb, made the change on there by creating a link to the file in the "Sites" folder and it changed it on my website.
So it's storing the file somewhere but I haven't been able to find it.

Yes, the files are being pulled from somewhere online and I'm willing to bet that they are in the same location as your other content. A simple way to know if you've edited the right file is to add something that will be obvious when you refresh the page. I like to use an alert:
Code:
alert("The page was refreshed.");
With that, it will be obvious you edited the right page because you'll get a message dialog.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This might be easier if we had the URL - we could then tell you exactly what file you need to look for. What is your homepage and more specifically, what page are you looking to edit?

OP
RezDuane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
File change

I talked with a GoDaddy tech and he said it could take up to 48 hours to show up on my site. I uploaded it directly to the ftp server. If I did it through iWeb it was fairly immediate. We'll see.

The file that should show a change is here: http://www.navajobic.org/The_Desert_Wind/Summer_Outreaches_files/WorkProjects.pdf

This might be easier if we had the URL - we could then tell you exactly what file you need to look for. What is your homepage and more specifically, what page are you looking to edit?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.