late model 2009 Macbook hard drive upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17-inch model 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
I have a late model 2009 macbook. i want to upgrade the hard drive from 250 gig to a terabyte if possible? Any suggestions what would be the best drive??? I have been reading lots of conflicting answers. Also, what is the max memory it can hold? 4 gigs or 8?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which 2009 MacBook do you have? There were three models that year. Two of them max out at 6 GB, the late model at 8 GB.

As for the hard drive.... There are several 1 TB drives that will now fit. Keep in mind that any drive for your MacBook has to be SATA and be 2.5" wide and no more than 9.5 MM thick.

Take a look at the drives sold by Other World Computing: LINK

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which 2009 MacBook do you have? There were three models that year. Two of them max out at 6 GB, the late model at 8 GB.

As for the hard drive.... There are several 1 TB drives that will now fit. Keep in mind that any drive for your MacBook has to be SATA and be 2.5" wide and no more than 9.5 MM thick.

Take a look at the drives sold by Other World Computing: LINK

Thanks for the reply!When i check in prefs i have the Late 2009 model. Regarding memory,when i look up on apple it has max of 6GB.? Regarding HD , can i put 7200 1TB? or would have to stay with 5400 drive? Heat issues with faster drive?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you have the late model 2009 MacBook, Mactracker says it will hold and utilize 8 Gb ( 2 x 4 GB modules) so you should be OK there. As far as the 5400 RPM 1 TB drive is concerned, that's all OWC stocks. They do have several 750 GB 7200 RPM models.

But you can look elsewhere; for example on Amazon. Just make certain the drive is of the correct dimensions as I stated in my first reply.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have the late model 2009 MacBook, Mactracker says it will hold and utilize 8 Gb ( 2 x 4 GB modules) so you should be OK there. As far as the 5400 RPM 1 TB drive is concerned, that's all OWC stocks. They do have several 750 GB 7200 RPM models.

But you can look elsewhere; for example on Amazon. Just make certain the drive is of the correct dimensions as I stated in my first reply.

Thanks for the info!!:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.